Tuition Books v Private Lessons

Questions on learning to play the piano, and piano music.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano

phil32

Tuition Books v Private Lessons

Post by phil32 »

Hi there - I'm just learning to play the piano at the ripe old age of 33 and was wondering whether it's worth getting a basic grasp of the piano using tuition books before starting private tuition.? Or am I going to pick up too many bad habits early on.?

Also, can anyone recommend a teacher in the Kingston, Surrey area.?

Thanks.
Gill the Piano

Post by Gill the Piano »

I always recommend the Complete Piano Player by Kenneth Baker for those wanting to teach themselves, because it uses songs you know (Abba, Elvis, Beatles, etc) so you know if you go wrong, but doesn't go too fast. You could go as far as you wanted with that book, and then decide to have lessons when you're no longer satisfied with playing on your own. Don't forget you can have a lesson a fortnight if you don't feel you can do enough practice to warrant a weekly lesson. Look under 'piano teachers' on this web page for a teacher, or go to your local music shop for ideas on teachers. The best way to find any teacher is by recommendation, though, so ask around. Not all teachers are suited to - or like! - teaching adults, so make it clear that the lessons are for you, not a kid. It might be worth asking for a lesson on a one-off basis to make sure you're going to get on with the teacher. Good luck! :wink:
Nyiregyhazi
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Books

Post by Nyiregyhazi »

Using a book alone can be dangerous. It may tell you all you need to know mentally in terms of reading music etc. but if you start with bad technique you will acquire habits that are soon programmed in. You will have to 'unlearn' bad technique before you can start learning what you need to progress. It's easier to just get it right first.

You need a good teacher that will explain any faults that are setting in before they become habit, not one that merely tells you stuff that you could read yourself from a good book. Any little faults should be removed early with exercises that are specific to a problem, not simply systematic. I'd start straight away, but you must find a very good teacher.

Andrew