Piano Exam coming up

Questions on learning to play the piano, and piano music.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano

violingirl
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Piano Exam coming up

Post by violingirl »

Hi,
I have a piano exam (grade 8 ABRSM) coming up on the 28th of November and I have a little question about the aural part of the test.
It's the first time for me that i'm taking a practical exam, so I really don't know what to expect.

THe last part of the aural tests is to discuss matters of a piece played the examiner.
What do I have to expect from that?

I'd really appreciate it if anyone could help me out please.

thanks!
WWJD
Gill the Piano

Post by Gill the Piano »

Your teacher should have gone through it all thoroughly with you!! If I remember rightly it's discussing what era you think it's from (Romantic, Classical, Baroque), use of modulation, use of texture, say if there's a sequence...God, I can't remember. Your best bet would be to get hold of a copy of the aural test book and look at the grade 8 questions. But I'm amazed your teacher hasn't done it all with you!
Geminoz
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by Geminoz »

How did you get to Grade 8 without taking practical exams??
:?
violingirl
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by violingirl »

I took theory exam grade 5 2 years ago. Grade 5 theory is required to take grade 8, right?
WWJD
Gill the Piano

Post by Gill the Piano »

Yes, but it's far better to do a bit as you go along than try and do it all in one lump!! I found out some more for you today - I tuned for a piano teacher and picked her brain. (I think she was worried that I might be teaching...she likes children! :twisted: )
Anyway, you'll be asked about the form of the piece (binary, rondo, or whatever); melody (themes, sequences, etc); texture (2 or 3 part writing, ornamentation, etc); dynamics (if you don't know about those, run away screaming NOW!);tempo (ditto);tonality; and finally harmony (whether it's counterpoint, baroque, romantic, etc.).
Hope it helps, but PLEEEEEEEEEEASE try to get some practice with someone (no, I ain't volunteering...) before the exam. But remember that that particular question is only a few marks out of the whole thing...although they all help!
Best of luck - let us know how you get on, won't you? :wink:
Geminoz
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by Geminoz »

ok You've lost me.... :? ..But that's nothing new...I am easily lost. :oops:
I thought you had to do one grade at a time and pass each grade (practical and theory) before you went to the next one...that's how it worked when I was a youngster eons ago.
Didn't you have to play set pieces for your grade 5?
Jumping from grade 5 theory to grade 8 seems a big leap...but good luck anyway.
:)
Gill the Piano

Post by Gill the Piano »

You need Grade V theory to go any further in the practical exams than grade V. Then you can put your feet up as far as theory goes and concentrate on playing, although some boffins go on to do ALL the theory exams! Guess what I did (or didn't)...! :wink:
violingirl
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by violingirl »

My teacher did go through everything with me, I'm just nervous :S
Main problem is that English is not my native language and they expect me to DISCUSS the music.

And I didn't expect the exam would come this fast. I thought it would be in December and my teacher is in Hong KOng now, so I can't really practise with her.

A little question:
Composing devices:
-sequence
-imitation
-decoration
-four-part-writing

What's decoration and what is four-part-writing?
WWJD
Geminoz
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by Geminoz »

Somehow I don't think you are one to put your feet up Gill.
Your impressive knowledge leads me to think you either went all the way...or if you did put your feet up at that point you caught up later. :wink:
Gill the Piano

Post by Gill the Piano »

Decoration is ornaments (trills, accaciaturas, appogiaturas, turns, mordents, etc). Four-part writing is 4 part harmony, like hymn tunes, or 4 voices working at once (like in a 4 part fugue). Find yourself a teacher - any teacher!! - who can give you a one-off lesson (or maybe two) just to check that you're on the right track. Good luck! Keep us posted, won't you? :wink:
I never took grade V theory, because in 1066 when I took exams, O level music (which I had)was equivalent to grade V so I never had to go through that bit when I took subsequent exams. But although I've taken a couple of Grade VIII's, it was before they revamped the aural tests which is why I'm a bit hazy on it! :roll:
violingirl
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by violingirl »

just got back. It went ok i guess...
Just made some stupid little mistakes but that was all...
Hope I got some good results :)
WWJD
Gill the Piano

Post by Gill the Piano »

I'm sure you did perfectly well...now go and burn your book! :lol: And as I said - the one question you were worried about is only a tiny proportion of the marks. How did that one question go - did you manage it all right?
violingirl
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by violingirl »

the examiner said: tell me what you notice about this piece.

I was like er........... er...... er......

THen he said: 'What about the texture' etc etc
I just gave him one-word-answers.... hehehe :lol:
WWJD
violingirl
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by violingirl »

AAAAAHHHH I GOT DISTINCTION!! :D :D :D :D :D

YAAYAYY

132 out of 150 woohooo
WWJD
Geminoz
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by Geminoz »

That is wonderful :D CONGRATULATIONS :!:
Gill the Piano

Post by Gill the Piano »

OH YOU BEAUTY!!!! I mean, jolly well done... give that girl a pat on the head. I need a drink after all that emotion and suspense.... :lol: :shock: :lol:
fumbler
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by fumbler »

Hi,

Congratulations all round, I think, especially as I'm still practising....

However, you've been rumbled. From the Daily Telegraph, Dec 1st:

'A girl whose talent as a violinist has been described as "incomparable" is believed to have become the youngest person to pass her grade eight music exams.

Julia Hwang, 9, a pupil at Clifton College in Bristol, passed the exams, usually taken by 17-year-olds, with a mark of 96 per cent.'

Yikes. Rgds.
violingirl
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by violingirl »

fumbler wrote:Hi,

Congratulations all round, I think, especially as I'm still practising....

However, you've been rumbled. From the Daily Telegraph, Dec 1st:

'A girl whose talent as a violinist has been described as "incomparable" is believed to have become the youngest person to pass her grade eight music exams.

Julia Hwang, 9, a pupil at Clifton College in Bristol, passed the exams, usually taken by 17-year-olds, with a mark of 96 per cent.'

Yikes. Rgds.

:shock: :shock: :shock:

She must be really good then! Well I'm not planning to take G8 Violin anyway hehehe, cause I don't practise that much on my violin. I'd rather play piano :wink:
Hwang sounds chinese... hmmm... I'm chinese too hehehe
WWJD