Easy Piano Music Advice

Questions on learning to play the piano, and piano music.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano

kaz1666

Easy Piano Music Advice

Post by kaz1666 »

I'm of grade 5 piano standard, but hate most of the music i have to play because i'm only just intermediate. My favourite composers are Rachmaninov and Debussy, as well as things like Beethoven pino sonatas (the later ones more than the earlier ones), and this is the music that i enjoy playing, and i was wondering if anybody could advise me on what pieces i might enjoy.
I could probably stretch to grade 6 standard as i am diploma standard on flute, so already have musical knowledge, which helps with rhythm and split voices etc on piano.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated :)

Anything to get me away from "Deridre's little waltz for small children" and so on..... :(

Caroline
Gill the Piano

Post by Gill the Piano »

Um...well, Rachmaninov is a no-no, I'd have thought. Bless 'im, he only wrote for people with at least twelve fingers and ten hours a day to practice! That said, if you buy a recording and study the music carefully, some of his preludes (the famous c# minor one - I think, I'm dreadful at remembering keys - for instance) might be approachable with a lot of patient practice.
Debussy's arabesques are nice, as are la Fille aux Cheveaux de Lin and of course Clair de Lune. Le Petit Negre is jolly as well.
Beethoven's little 2 movement G major sonata is nice to play - the second movement was set for Grade V 300 years ago when I took it...and there's Furry Knees of course, but you probably know that backwards.
The bagatelles are good, too.
Why don't you go to a teacher for a one-off lesson, or have a lesson a month? That would be cheaper, for a start, and you could get guidance on what to play from someone who would know your strengths and weaknesses. Of course, it depends whether you want to work on your weaknesses or play on your strengths! :wink:
kaz1666

Post by kaz1666 »

hehe, yea i'm convinced Rachmaninov had an extra 36 fingers he whipped out when nobody was watching.
Yea, I have a piano lesson every 2 weeks or every week at the moment, but because i'm only grade 5 i have to play things like Mozart for beginners. And i am NOT a fan of Mozart. In the slightest. I really hate having to play most of the Baroque/Classical music that i get given, i'm not so keen on Beethoven either, but i'll give that piece a shot :) (although i think I may have already played it!)
I don't know what it is, i just find it so boring for the most part. Thans for the help :)
Gill the Piano

Post by Gill the Piano »

Tell your teacher; s/he won't want you to be bored - there's nothing worse than trying to teach someone who'd really rather be somewhere else. If your teacher isn't approachable, then change; life's too short to waste time with people who won't listen to you! (That's why I don't teach... :wink: ) I mean, you have to take advice - that's what you pay for - but you also need to have some input into the lessons other than doing what you're told.
Geminoz
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by Geminoz »

Why not browse around a music store and find something at your current level or even more advanced (challenge yourself), present it to your teacher and tell him/her you would like to learn it.
I can relate to being asked to play things you don't like :( .
But even back in the olden days (the very start of rock and roll) my music teacher allowed me to play a couple of popular pieces...(providing!!!!).....I practiced my scales and all the set pieces for my exams.
Even if your teacher doesn't want you playing the things you like (and if he/she doesn't then find a new teacher who has a more liberal outlook - you are employing him/her)you can still play them yourself.
Funny thing has happened to me though...the things I didn't want to play way back then I am enjoying now.... :roll:
kaz1666

Post by kaz1666 »

Heh yea, I can ask my teacher, as she's also my flute teacher - she's taught me for 11 years! Problem is as i only have a half hour lesson a week i really don't have time to go through other stuff with her. I'll try looking round, thanks for the suggestions :) its really helpful.
Geminoz
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by Geminoz »

Have you considered switching your weekly half hour lesson to a fortnightly one hour lesson.
This would give you more time with your teacher and also more time to practice between lessons :wink: