Music education system in UK

Questions on learning to play the piano, and piano music.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano

maja

Music education system in UK

Post by maja »

Hi,

I am interested to know how the UK music education system is set up. I would be very grateful for any reply.
Gill the Piano

Post by Gill the Piano »

Do you mean class music teaching in schools - GCSE, A Level, and so on, or one-to-one private intrument tuition?
maja

Post by maja »

I had in mind one-to-one private instrument tuition :)
Gill the Piano

Post by Gill the Piano »

Right, well look at the thread entitled 'learn'; that tells you roughly what goes on in music exams, which are generally the aim of piano lessons (I'll assume we're talking about piano, though other instruments follow the same pattern). The Associated Board of the Royal Schools of Music have a website which will tell you exactly which pieces are included in the lists of music from which the exams are taken. The London College of Music, Trinity College of Music and the Guildhall School of Music all have their own syllabuses. Syllabi. Whatever... :?
If you're in mainstream education, some secondary schools offer private music lessons. Nearly all the private schools can afford to do so. Otherwise it's a case of finding a private teacher; this is best done through recommendation, but if you have no-one to ask (friends who learn, or who have kids who learn, or church organist/music leaders are a good start) then ask at a local music shop or consult yell.com or the Yellow Pages. Obviously, if you're picking from those two then go for a qualified teacher (with B.Mus, B.A. (Mus.), M.Mus., M.A. (Mus.),or the letters TCL,LCM,RCM,GSM with L,A, or G in front - eg, ATCL). I have to say that letters after a name don't necessarily make a GOOD teacher, just a qualified one; Some of the best teachers I have known have had few 'real' qualifications but were fully qualified in what counts - patience and enthusiasm!
I hope this tells you what you want to know - without specific details it's hard to cover all eventualities! :)
maja

Post by maja »

Thanks a lot for the reply! :)
I agree very much with you that what matters more is patience, enthusiasm and love for music, and definitely not the title that one possesses.
I'm a piano student of 2nd year of music university, and so I would like to know how can my degree be converted into english one. I've been playing piano for 13 years already. The music system in my country looks like this: 6 years of primary, 4 years of secundary music education and 4-5 years of university. How is it in UK?
I have read here in forums people talking about "grade 8" for example, and I don't understand what exactly does this "grade" stand for.
I'm moving to UK in few time and I'm willing to start teaching piano as well as I'd like very much to finish my study. I'd be truly grateful for any advice, thanks in advance!

Regards,

Maja :)
Gill the Piano

Post by Gill the Piano »

I think the best thing would be for you to go to the Associated Board of the Royal Schools of Music website and look at the piano grade pieces. The grades begin at 1 and go to 8; thereafter you take diplomas or certificates from whichever college suits your needs. If you look at the pieces in the exam syllabus, this will give you a rough idea of what the grades' standards are and how they compare with those in your country. For instance, Beethoven's Fur Elise could be roughly judged to be grade 3 or 4, I would have thought. Teachers who read this would be able to give you a far better idea than I can. (I'm qualified to teach, but don't because I have no patience and prefer animals to kids! :shock: ) If you go to a university here, they will probably try to ascertain on interview what level you are and how they will be able to credit what you've done on our system.
There is no legal requirement for a teacher to be qualified here - it sounds as though you are adequately equipped to me! Most parents don't ask - they're just glad to find a teacher, as most teachers have a waiting list.