advice please

Questions on learning to play the piano, and piano music.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano

jenny72

advice please

Post by jenny72 »

Hello, i am searching for advice. i took my A level music theory and practical when i was 18, and my LGSM
However i didnt pass all the LGSM and life took me elsewhere due to circumstances beyond my control at the time.
i am now 33 and want to get back into it and teach piano- i want to retake my LGSM or whatever is the equivalent now. But i have done alot of net searching and cant find the answers i want.
i still have to work as i need the income so i cant go back to college fulltime. can anyone tell me where to start please?
i know i could probobly just teach the piano without the Diploma but its been such a long time since i was at college all that knowledge i learnt needs to be unlocked form the inner deapths of my brain somehow!!
i would llso like to know how i can use my skills to teach in a school too- maybe just at primary to start off- i was thinking of offering myself free to my childrens primary to do an after school club maybe.
is it all possible or am i past it now and lost the chance?

jenny

jenny@mortons.net
Geminoz
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by Geminoz »

Past it at 33??? :shock: If you are past it then I am Metheusela :roll: We are not past anything until we are pushing up daisies. Even at my age the old brain still functions.....well sometimes :wink: Go for it :!:
Gill the Piano

Post by Gill the Piano »

Hear, hear! Find a GOOD teacher who can teach to diploma level, get the GSM syllabus and go for it! It's amazing what a few refresher lessons will do for you, and don't forget that there is no law that says you HAVE to have a lesson a week; once a month or so lets you get a bit of practice in!
The Associated Board do a teaching qualification which I think isn't quite a scary as the LGSM and you can always look at the London College and Trinity too.
Qualifications are nice, but the desire to teach is what makes a good teacher, coupled with infinite patience. For instance,I have the qualifications but could never teach because I can only tell somebody something twice then I have to kill them = not a good teacher...
Good luck!