Adult re-starter

Questions on learning to play the piano, and piano music.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano

Elsje
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Adult re-starter

Post by Elsje »

Hi
I'm keen to start playing the piano again. I only reached about Grade 3 level, but that was 20 years ago!! I can still read music and play very basic pieces. I will start lessons in about 2 - 3 months time, but have itchy fingers and would like to start playing a bit.
What books could you recommend?
Geminoz
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Adult re-starter

Post by Geminoz »

Hi
I guess it depends what type of music you want to play.
I was in similar position to you, although I am not doing the lesson thing again at my age.
I had kept playing a little over the years, but not enough to progress, and mainy using chords.
I restarted by going over a lot of the music I had learned in my younger years....yes I had kept all the music..I never throw anything out....fingers not as supple as they used to be, but perserverance is paying off.
I purchased a book called Jane Austen's World (published by Faber). The arrangements are not too hard and the pieces (particularly the theme from Pride and Prejudice) very rewarding to play.
Some of Richard Clayderman's music is nice to play also....so much music...so little time :roll:
But as I said...depends on the type of music that interests you.
Have fun :)
Elsje
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by Elsje »

Thanks. As we've moved so often I sadly do not have my old piano books with me - somewhere in storage in a different country. I just really want to play well-known tunes - popular and classical.
Geminoz
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

adult re-starter

Post by Geminoz »

Hi again
There is a really good sheet music site on line where you can browse various categories..you are sure to find something that appeals.
The site is
http://www.musicnotes.com/sheetmusic

Have fun
Gill the Piano

Post by Gill the Piano »

Despite the government cutbacks, most places have public libraries (for the moment, at least! :roll: ) where you can borrow sheet music. If you find a local library with a sheet music section you can go and have a browse and see what appeals to you. I also haunt second-hand bookshops and charity shops where you can get some real bargains. Though you should beware of the addictive element to this, which renders you incapable of passing a charity shop and causes your car to swerve towards the kerb when it sees the word 'Oxfam' on a shopfront... :?