Will digital piano harm my technique

Questions on learning to play the piano, and piano music.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano

janetwilson
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Will digital piano harm my technique

Post by janetwilson »

I learned to play on an acoustic piano, haven't played much at all for the last 5 years and am now perhaps Grade 7 ish. As I can't work out what piano to buy, I'm considering using a basic cheap Clavinova for the next couple of years or so.
But.. will the difference in action etc damage my technique?
Janet
Gill the Piano

Post by Gill the Piano »

If you're Grade VII ish, I would have thought a Clavinova would drive you mad; the touch isn't the same, whatever the salesmen say, and neither is the sound. Also, by the end of a couple of years, the clavinova will have depreciated in value enormously. What about a hire/buy scheme? Most larger piano shops offer such a service; you hire the piano for as long as you need (although some firms put a restriction on this period) and if you decide to buy it, they knock what you've paid in rental off the price. Yamaha also have a scheme whereby if you have one of their pianos at so much a month, after a while you can elect to upgrade the model if you want (that's a bit hazy - I'm sure Yamaha would be able to put you straight!).
rach_sheff

Teashing on an Electric Piano

Post by rach_sheff »

When I moved from a semi to a terrace, I was froced to buy a electric piano - not keem on the idea at first...
but...
Electric pianos have come a long way recently. I've bought a great Technics which feels and plays like a pinao - the sound very acceptable. I use it to play and to teach on - I'm grade 8+ and enjoy my piano :shock:

It's great for teaching on esp. kids as you can...

i) Turn the volume down on 'loud' pupils (those for whom technique isn't in their vocabulary!
ii) Reduce the touch sensitivity for little hands.
iii) Turn up the sensitivity in preparation for exams.
iv) Hear every wrong note as it never goes out of tune and the sound is crystal clear.

Everyone has different opinions, and that doesn't mean to say the baby grand I used to play daily wasn't a fab. instrument but there are positives both ways.
Rolandroger
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Digital v Acoustic Pianos

Post by Rolandroger »

Hi

I am a grade 8 pianist and I have both an acoustic baby grand piano(Yamaha) and a Roland digital piano.

The Roland digital piano plays almost like an acoustic upright and sounds surprisingly similar. However it does not come anywhere near the touch/feel of my acoustic baby grand. You wouldn't expect it to either because the baby grand was GBP5000 and the Roland just over GBP1000.

I practice on both and the Roland is useful for composing because it will interface with my Mac or Windows laptop using Midinotate, Sibelius 3, Garageband, CakeWalk etc to produce Midi files.

For sheer playing enjoyment however, sound and perfomance and entertaining the baby grand acoustic far out performs any digital piano.

IMO although Yamaha make superb acoustic pianos I have the GB1, and compare favourably with the big heavy weights such as Bechstein, Bosendorfer etc in this field, I do not think their digital pianos (Clavinova et al) are as good as Roland digital pianos.

If you want a good digital piano go for the Roland HP3, it feels like a real upright piano, looks like one and sounds almost like one. Don't buy a Yammy ditital piano or keyboard.

If you want the real acoustic piano experience you will just have to buy a real piano. In this case I would highly recommend a Yamaha; their small uprights are surprisingly affordable.
fumbler
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Re: Will digital piano harm my technique

Post by fumbler »

Hi,
janetwilson wrote:.. will the difference in action etc damage my technique?
Did anyone see the TV programme a couple of weeks ago that followed the pianist who was in the Young Musician of the Year competition (when Benedetti won)?

Anyway, he was one of those annoying 12 year-old's or whatever who can already play far better than I can ever dream of playing with his eyes shut. He can probably play better than me with the keyboard lid shut. He was shown practising at school in the lunch hour on what looked like a Yamaha Clavinova. He might have had one at his home as well. It certainly hadn't damaged his technique.

Rgds.
sucom

Post by sucom »

I was a performer for several years, and during this time owned a beautiful Steinway Grand piano. Alas, I no longer have this piano. However, since then, I have tried several acoustic pianos, but none of them compare to the Yamaha digital piano that I now own. As far as touch and action are concerned, the Yamaha has the nearest sound and feel to my original Steinway and I can only describe it as being a most satisfying instrument to play. Far, far better than the less satisfying acoustic pianos around a similar price range.

I don't especially like the cheaper range of digital pianos, but the middle and upper range pianos are excellent!