memorizing pieces

Questions on learning to play the piano, and piano music.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano

slofinger

memorizing pieces

Post by slofinger »

Hi I'm new here and have been playing for about two years and I'm in my late forties, I reckon I 'm about grade 5. Can anyone recommend methods for increasing the speed of the memorization process and generally increasing ones musical memory power. I guess this is quite a complex issue as maths, aural and visual memories are involved, any tips at all would be appreciated.
slofinger

Post by slofinger »

bump
fumbler
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by fumbler »

Hi,

Dinu Lipatti said that you should break the piece down into many small parts, then thoroughly master each part, then start to string them together. It's the method I use, just slog through a few bars, or even one bar, at a time until mastered. Well, in my case it's more like memorised than mastered. Just constant repitition, I guess. I do notice that sometimes the most simple phrases are the most difficult!

By the way Lipatti was asked to perform the Tchaikovsky B flat m concerto, when he was already at his peak. He replied that he would need three years for preparation, and for the Beethoven Emperor four. In the end he performed neither.

Rgds.
slofinger

Post by slofinger »

thanks
Geminoz
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

memorising

Post by Geminoz »

Hi
I agree with fumbler...break the pieces down to small sections and practice, practice, practice. :)