5 yr old wanting to learn

Questions on learning to play the piano, and piano music.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano

Gill the Piano

Post by Gill the Piano »

Usual advice; look on the teaching pages of this site, ask friends, look in the Yellow Pages/ local directory, ask at the local music shops. Recommendation is far better than sticking a pin in the Yellow Pages. A lot of teachers regard five as too young - seven appears to be a 'magic number' for some reason, possibly because of reading ability, although I started at four. The main thing is - does your CHILD want to learn? If s/he does, there's no problem. If it's your idea, I'd wait until s/he asks.And anywhere is a safe 'teaching environment' where other kids are happy and the teacher is experienced and qualified. Good luck!
lizzzy

Post by lizzzy »

Hi,

I have just joined this sight and read your message with interest. Our son, like yours was 5 when wanting to learn the piano. Like you, the rest of the family could not read a note!! We had difficulty in finding a teacher who would take him, and because of his young age did not want him to be doing exams. So he went to a local teacher who grudgingly agreed to take him and taught for fun, rather than grades. My advise is find him a teacher he likes as he could so easily be put off at 5 if there's lots of theory etc. THEN,if he has a natural ability and enjoys it, review the teaching in a couple of years. My son is now 15, we did have to change teacher when he was 9, as he was needing a more structured and technical approach, but I think if he had been pushed into grades too young he may not be loving it like he does now. It didn't matter about grades, he is only 15 now and has caught up to grade 8, but more importantly, he still loves playing and regularly performs - these days on a grand piano sometimes in concerts. This is amazing to the rest of us, who still can't read a note!!

Regards

Lizzy
Gill the Piano

Post by Gill the Piano »

My parents were utterly bemused by my wanting to play the piano as well; neither of them played a note either. It's actually a help for the child, believe it or not...my friend's parents were always telling her to play louder/softer, lift/drop her wrists, play louder/softer, and so on, until, severely hacked off, she gave up. My parents made me practise for half an hour a day as advised by Mrs Palmer, my sainted teacher, but beyond that left me to it. Never underestimate the value of a non-interventionist policy! :D
Geminoz
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

5 year old wanting to learn

Post by Geminoz »

Hi
Like Gill, my parents could not play, and they were so happy to listen to my shaky practice and would applaud when I got a scale or simple piece correct...consequently I would practice and practice well over my required half hour per day.
I'm sure your five year old knows what he wants and there are so many teaching aids out there for very young students, so let him have a go. I hope you find a teacher who will encourage him...Good luck.
leongmingyu

Re: 5 yr old wanting to learn

Post by leongmingyu »

shanklygates wrote:Hi all, I have a very bright son who has been wanting to learn to play the piano, I am without a musical bone in my body, where can i find a safe environment for my child to learn in the Salford area.
Are there group classes in your area? Do ask around. Your acquaintances with older children taking piano lessons may be more au fait.