Just started teaching

Questions on learning to play the piano, and piano music.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano

Cazza525
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Just started teaching

Post by Cazza525 »

Hello, i'm new ! I have a couple of questions please. I passed my grade 8 in '91 and went on to do my advanced certificate which i passed in '92. I have looked on the ABRSM website and there appears not to be an advanced certificate anymore, so what would this qualification now be?

Also, i have started teaching at home in the last few weeks. I have only taken on a handful of beginners, its kind of spiralled to quite a few actually, without advertising. My students are all between 6 and 9. I have started them all on 'me and my piano' book one and also they have each purchased the first set of chesters music puzzles. All the lessons are progressing well. I teach them all individually, 20 minute lessons for £5, once a week. I dont think these little ones could actually concentrate any longer than that! Am i on the right track??

I am also itching to bring myself up to scratch again. I used to perform regularly and inwould like to work towards something piano wise for myself again....after having a long break bringing up my family (im now 39). What would people suggest i do? And how would i go about it?

Many thanks
dave brum
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Re: Just started teaching

Post by dave brum »

Don't suppose you're anywhere near Birmingham, are you cazza??
The world's unluckiest piano learner, quite possibly.
Cazza525
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by Cazza525 »

No I'm sorry, I'm down near Plymouth :D
dave brum
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by dave brum »

Plymouth, eh? I used to work at Derriford Hospital as a catering porter brtween 95 and 97, used to ferry food between kitchens on level 2 and restaurant on level 7.
Cazza525
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by Cazza525 »

And now your in Birmingham??
dave brum
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by dave brum »

I should say welcome to the UK Piano Page, cazza525

It would be good for you if you did have one or two adult students too. I should also add there are hardly any piano teachers that use this forum nowadays. Which is why my welcome is special, because you're in great need here!
Cazza525
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by Cazza525 »

Then where on earth do they go I wonder???
Gill the Piano

Post by Gill the Piano »

Sorry Cazza, I posted a reply to you but it hasn't come out...:(
I said that you didn't seem to be charging enough! Ask locally to see who charges what.
The Advanced Cert is now the Dip ABRSM and although they really should have contacted people who did Ad Cert to let them upgrade by writing a few programme notes, they didn't. I think the programme notes are the only difference as far as I can see, but I haven't examined the syllabus - go to the ABRSM website and have a look. To be honest, most people don't ask about qualifications (although they should) when choosing teachers. Personally I think it just as important that the teacher is patient and kind - you'd be amazed how many teachers aren't!
If you want to get up to scratch again, find a good advanced teacher and have lessons - once a week, once a fortnight, just occasionally, whatever fits your schedule/pocket!
Good luck!
I play for my own amazement... :piano;
Cazza525
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by Cazza525 »

Thankyou very much for your response. Now for the task of finding a teacher in the plymouth area willing to take my rather rusty fingers on!
dave brum
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by dave brum »

Cazza525 wrote:And now your in Birmingham??
Yes, via Bristol, North East Wales and Herefordshire.
dave brum
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by dave brum »

Cazza525 wrote:Then where on earth do they go I wonder???
Usually to other forums and social media such as Twitter. We're dominated by piano tuners and a small community of learners, there's only one teacher that uses this site regularly, that's Colin N in Bradford.