Is playing piano a cure for mental illness?

Questions on learning to play the piano, and piano music.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano

russellspiano

Is playing piano a cure for mental illness?

Post by russellspiano »

Music can be a positive force for mental health, calming, relaxing, intellectually stimulating. This is true for adults, teens and children. Music can and does affect our emotions, it can create "channels" in our mind, patterns of thinking. It can impart ideas and ideologies, powerfully and emotionally conveying a way of life.
Gill the Piano

Re: Is playing piano a cure for mental illness?

Post by Gill the Piano »

Well, you've answered your own question there. I agree; many people have told me that while they are playing the piano, they don't think of anything else, and that's therapy in itself. You only have to speak to a music therapist to realise what miracles music can do.
I play for my own amazement... :piano;
joseph
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by joseph »

I don't believe it's a cure, but it's a bloody good distraction at times. At other times it may contribute to your frustrations.
russellspiano

Post by russellspiano »

I believe it,s a cure, so do the doctors. I have been admitted in 5 psyciatric hospitals due to mental illness and was taking 14 medication tablets a day, now since taking up the piano I am now only taking 4 medication tablets and no admissions into hospital. :piano;
Gill the Piano

Post by Gill the Piano »

Excellent; so glad it's been helpful to you. Do you have regular lessons, or just play on your own?
I play for my own amazement... :piano;
russellspiano

Post by russellspiano »

I get an hour lesson every friday by the sea, excelent tuition and nearly finshed the Alfred,s 2 book, starting on ABRSM 2 book next month. I am so happy. :piano;
gizzy
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by gizzy »

russellspiano wrote:I get an hour lesson every friday by the sea, excelent tuition and nearly finshed the Alfred,s 2 book, starting on ABRSM 2 book next month. I am so happy. :piano;
I'm not sure that makes it a "cure" exactly, but it's marvellous medicine and can keep many of the worse symptoms at bay

Music and laughter - powerful medicine :D
piano4solihull

Post by piano4solihull »

Learning the piano takes a huge amount of concentration and brain power so its a good distraction! I teach piano privately and at mind - my ladies who take lessons with me at mind say the benefit from the concentration.

Playing in a group/soiree/concert is also probably a good thing :D