Learning the Keyboard

Questions on learning to play the piano, and piano music.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano

Jonathan the 2nd
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Learning the Keyboard

Post by Jonathan the 2nd »

Apart from learning scales I have found one very useful Prelude from the Bach 48 book for showing how to get around the piano keys . Prelude No 6 in D Minor seems to teach me such a lot , I wanted to ask what others are especially useful and what they teach you in particular ? What point does each one highlight ? I think Bach was well aware of the benefit each one could be to a new player .
Jonathan the 2nd
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Re: Learning the Keyboard

I did start off learning scales and finger patterns but took a diversion and began just memorising which black notes were used. I am surprised how simple and effective it has become. Don`t follow my bad example.
Jonathan the 2nd
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Yesterday`s exercise with eyes shut. Sitting the correct distance from the piano and doing a middle finger exercise right handed. F to an F an octave higher. Then back . Up and down Just teaching my arm the angle change needed for an octave. Similar to learning third position on a violin . Straight repetition and muscle memory . My pectoral and back muscles are learning the piano .
Jonathan the 2nd
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

The Bach No6 D minor piece mentioned above should be tried if only for the beautiful last line . I started this one slowly and was shocked to hear the way completely different notes were stressed ,beginning with the second note and not the first note as I was doing it . I might keep trying both ways .There is a certain clunky quality to the official (correct ?) way .