straight to grade 4

Questions on learning to play the piano, and piano music.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano

nathan32

straight to grade 4

Post by nathan32 »

Hi all, First time posting here so hope i am in the right place, I am 32 years old and I have been learning to play the piano for the last 8 months, in this time i have learnt a few average pieces all the major scales with both hands in octaves, contrary motion 3rds 6ths and tenths, all major arpeggio's 1st 2nd & 3rd inversions learnt aswell, i actually had some lessons when i was about 10 and did enough pass grade 1 with a merit but that was all, i practice every single day for over an hour, i am extremley motivated and would love to get to the stage where i can play pretty much what i want, i do see this as a long term plan, as long as it takes, i am currently learning Mozart K545 which i am struggling with, mainly the fast scales and arpeggio's but i think i will get there it has taken me about 6 weeks to get to the 24th bar, (with speed and timing issues) so thats the background, my question is, my teacher said i should choose between grade 4 and 5 and work towards the spring 2013 exam period, i have opted for grade 4 but am just wondering if skipping all the previouse grades is advisable, any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks in advance

Nathan
Gill the Piano

Re: straight to grade 4

Post by Gill the Piano »

Your teacher knows best in most cases, if s/he has been teaching you for a while. A lot of people skip grades - usually only one, sometimes more - and it usually works out for them. The way you're doing it, the learning curve is steeper. I'm not a teacher, but we have plenty of teachers around the forum who can give you an informed opinion. I think the G4 option is good sense - 5 would be a hell of a leap. You need to make sure that you're learning all the background information about WHY you're playing what you're playing, otherwise you're just like a parrot who spouts words and doesn't understand the meaning. Keep up with your theory - it's the boring part of piano playing, like the Highway Code and driving, but will be very very useful in the long run.
I play for my own amazement... :piano;
Colin Nicholson
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by Colin Nicholson »

You may find that the learning of scales etc & other technical work is no problem for you.... bit like ''doing what it says on the tin''.... but the real test in skipping grades (assuming ABRSM or similar exam Board?) .... will be the sight reading. This comes with practise gradually. As Gill pointed out, if you want to extend further than Grade 5 piano, then you should do the theory aswell - the 2 go together.

Hope that makes sense!

ps.... I assume you meant dominant 7ths in 3rd inversion? (There's no such thing as major/ 3rd inversion.... thats back to root position!) Thats of course Grades 7&8 stuff, but good to know for when you learn the last movement of the Moonlight :)
AA Piano Tuners UK

Colin Nicholson Dip. Mus. CMIT CLCM PTLLS
Piano tuning & repairs. Full UK restoration service
http://www.aatuners.com
Tuition ~ Accompaniment ~ Weddings
http://www.pianotime1964.com
Member of The Guild of Master Craftsmen
nathan32

Post by nathan32 »

Hi Colin / Jill

Thanks for the reply's, yes it does make sense. Sorry i meant Majors root, 1st & 2nd inversions and yes it is the ABRSM. I am also studying theory aswell, did grade 1 in spring and doing grade 2 in June,

Thanks Again

Nathan