Secondhand Yamaha U3.. Where to buy?

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

sophialucas

Secondhand Yamaha U3.. Where to buy?

Post by sophialucas »

I have been researching a secondhand Yamaha U3 to buy and am deciding between two dealers, Little & Lampert or Mark Goodwin. Little & Lampert. As Little & Lampert are more competitively priced, I can consider a new model in the late 80's for the same price as a late 70's from Mark Goodwin. Is anyone able to give me any further advice on these sellers and also, I'd like to know if it makes a difference whether the piano has had high usage or not, after restoration, are they really as good as new?! Thank you all so much for taking the time to read and answer this.
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Secondhand Yamaha U3.. Where to buy?

Post by Barrie Heaton »

As to the 2 retailers, MG is a retailer and L&L are Piano Tuner tec retailer

on paper the 80 piano would be better, I would ask them what has been changed if anything. reconditioning is a very misleading term in the UK

I tuned a 1970s U1 last week the client was told that is was like new inside, as good as a new piano, fully restored. Hmm.. down in pitch, lost motion and all they had changed was the loops, IMHI the bass strings needed replacing, as well as the key-bushings. But the client was over joyed with the piano. the piano was not got from ether of the above retailers.

Barrie
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
sophialucas

Post by sophialucas »

Thank you for your reply.

According to Little & Lampert, "All loops are replaced, keys rebushed, hammers reshaped & voiced, brand new key tops. Fine tuned & regulated by us. This is because we are able to do the work, unlike other sellers who have no idea about pianos & how they work"...

Mark Goodwin's are 'restored' in Japan.. "All of my Yamaha U3 upright pianos have been expertly stripped & repolished, have a full set of brand new keytops, a full set of brand new loop cords, the brasswork is returned to beautiful condition, the hammers are expertly voiced and the action is properly regulated – these pianos even SMELL nice!"

They both offer 5 year warranties so if a tuner was to during this time find any issues such as what you found with the U1 you recently tuned, would this be covered under warranty?
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

sophialucas wrote:
They both offer 5 year warranties so if a tuner was to during this time find any issues such as what you found with the U1 you recently tuned, would this be covered under warranty?
Yes and No pitch; it could be argued that it was on pitch when it left the shop so I just do it - As to regulating problems depends on the retailer. On a positive note I have done after-care for both the named retailers and both have never quibbled over fixing minor problems.

I take it that you are not going to look at the pianos just taking them on trust. The one main concern is the Bass string, 70s and early 80s Yamaha strings tend to go tubby if the pianos have been worked hard in their previous life. Again on paper the 80s piano should have a nice bass but that is not always the case. That is why it is important to look at the piano before you buy.

Bass string are not even covered on new pianos after 12 months

Hope this helps

Barrie
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
sophialucas

Post by sophialucas »

Thanks for your advice.

Even if I went to look at the pianos, I wouldn't know how to tell if they were worn or not. I would be asking both the dealers and placing my trust in them!

I think I am basing my decision on the reputation of the dealers and an element of pot luck because even if I looked at both pianos, I wouldn't be able to tell what maybe worn or soon needed replacing.

Do you think that it would be a good idea to hire the services of a tuner to inspect the pianos before buying?

Thanks again.
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

sophialucas wrote:T
Do you think that it would be a good idea to hire the services of a tuner to inspect the pianos before buying?

Thanks again.
in an ideal world yes.. both retailers are very happy for tuners to comes and inspect, I take it your are miles from both

Barrie
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
Colin Nicholson
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by Colin Nicholson »

sophialucas wrote: They both offer 5 year warranties so if a tuner was to during this time find any issues such as what you found with the U1 you recently tuned, would this be covered under warranty?
Not sure if you are aware, but Mark is a valid and honourable member on this forum - and has even sold a piano to Jeremy Vine.... BBC2 Egg Heads presenter, and Radio 2 presenter. I have sold various pianos, but also taught one or 2 famous people, including Gareth Gates...... they used to ask me the same questions, and quote technical things about hammer loops/ refacing/ key tops.... and to my horror, these pianists were barely past Grade 2 standard!! I reckon that even if played a piano with a broken loop - I would probably never tell the difference.

The other thing is.... when a piano is refurbished, it usually ALWAYS has the same wrest plank.... this is the bit that matters - not the odd spring or key top.... and if a piano is 30 or 40 years old, no matter what is done to it - the general structural main ''chassis'' parts are still 30 or 40 years old.

I think its also a human thing - all pianos deteriorate like us, so it doen't matter who sells you one. If a technician checks the tapes, leathers, springs, loops, hammer felt etc for you - it still may not make any difference fighting through the same piece of music you've been playing for decades!

If anyone can post their playing and standard of piano on Youtube, and link it to here, I can usually tell them what to look out for in a piano.... but usually, ''spring & loops'' are bottom of the list when it comes to hearing a well-executed trill by Mozart. (Thats what they are for really)
AA Piano Tuners UK

Colin Nicholson Dip. Mus. CMIT CLCM PTLLS
Piano tuning & repairs. Full UK restoration service
http://www.aatuners.com
Tuition ~ Accompaniment ~ Weddings
http://www.pianotime1964.com
Member of The Guild of Master Craftsmen
MarkGoodwinPianos
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by MarkGoodwinPianos »

When customers sometimes ask me why I'm more expensive than some other dealers my reply is always to strongly recommend that they visit both dealers and they will get the answer they wanted.

Always visit if you are confused about any differences in price, quality or service
Failing that, at the very least you should hire a technician to inspect any piano before handing over any money. I will refund the fee if you hire a technician to write a report and you then go ahead with a purchase.

Feel free to email me at markgoodwinpianos@gmail.com with a list of questions and I'll reply in full detail within 2 or 3 hours.
Yamaha Pianos for sale (usually 50+ in stock)
email markgoodwinpianos@gmail.com with any Yamaha, Kawai, Bechstein or Steinway questions :)
NewAge
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by NewAge »

Holding breath for an input from Little & Lampert........ :wink:
I was playing the piano in a zoo, when the elephant burst into tears. I said, "Don't you recognize the tune?" He replied, "No, I recognize the ivories!"
joseph
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by joseph »

Colin Nicholson wrote:
sophialucas wrote: I have sold various pianos, but also taught one or 2 famous people, including Gareth Gates...... they used to ask me the same questions, and quote technical things about hammer loops/ refacing/ key tops.... and to my horror, these pianists were barely past Grade 2 standard!! I reckon that even if played a piano with a broken loop - I would probably never tell the difference.

I remember being in Bluthner London, practising for a concert. There was a man in the showroom who was asking all sorts of questions about a large upright, and complaining that the downbearing wasn't right, or the particular type of bass string winding wasn't correct, or blah blah blah, the finish on the tuning pins, basically breaking the sales managers b**ls over it. Anyway... then he sat down and played.... I had to leave the room..... as IF he'd have known, and as if he'd have required anything more than a Casio Privia..... :D :D
sussexpianos
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by sussexpianos »

Can I ask why you want a U3? have you played one? Will it be OK for the room its going in? Another question is are they local to you? Are there other dealers nearby you can visit? Remember the instruments are going to be 30-40 years old and nothing lasts forever.
A piano tuner is the "Unseen artist". www.sussexpianos.co.uk
Members of the PTA & I.M.I.T., MIA and Trading Standards Approved. C&G qualified and N&S Diploma. PTD(Precision Touch Design) Technician.