1977 Bluthner Model 10, advice sought.

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

Model V
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

1977 Bluthner Model 10, advice sought.

Post by Model V »

My friend has been offered a 1977 Bluthner Model 10 grand and as it belongs to his friend the price is very low.

I went to see it myself tonight and it seems a nice piano; mahogany case in very god condition, the insides look very clean and it plays nicely, despite being in need of a little regulation and voicing. The extreme bass is weak, but otherwise it has a good tone.

My main concern is that as 1977 was the height of the Cold War, and Leipzig was in the DDR at the time, will this be a good piano to buy? I've played and loved “Golden Age” Bluthners and new ones at Berkeley Square but never encountered an Iron Curtain one!

Any comments/advice?

Thanks,

MV.
Colin Nicholson
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Re: 1977 Bluthner Model 10, advice sought.

Post by Colin Nicholson »

As Basil Fawlty said.... 'Dont mention the War' !
AA Piano Tuners UK

Colin Nicholson Dip. Mus. CMIT CLCM PTLLS
Piano tuning & repairs. Full UK restoration service
http://www.aatuners.com
Tuition ~ Accompaniment ~ Weddings
http://www.pianotime1964.com
Member of The Guild of Master Craftsmen
joseph
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by joseph »

I've played quite a few Iron Curtain ones. As long as the price is low it's OK. They need quite a bit of servicing, like regulation etc. They are still good instruments by design, but they aren't as precise as the Golden Age ones and they're not a patch on the new ones.

I'd say that between 2 and 5k depending on condition (for me to part with as much as 5K, apart from a small lottery win, the piano would have to be mint condition).

Of course, if you LOVE the piano, then it depends how much you're willing to pay for it.
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

Buy it with a view that you are going to have it restored in the future when it is restored you will have an exceptional piano for a fraction of the cost of a new one

Barrie
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
Model V
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by Model V »

Thanks for that guys. The lady might let it go for 3.5k (we're hoping). The case is in exceptional condition and I think with regulation and (better) tuning it will be nice.

MV.
Silverwood Pianos
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by Silverwood Pianos »

Barrie Heaton wrote:Buy it with a view that you are going to have it restored in the future when it is restored you will have an exceptional piano for a fraction of the cost of a new one Barrie
This is exactly what I did here when I found a 1979 Blüthner model 6 at an estate sale. This one has a Renner action instead of the Flemming.

The only problems I encountered were the original finish had too much catalyst in the poly so it cracked and crazed in long lines similar to pond ice in the winter. Easily removed and replaced with nitro lacquer.

The second problem was the tinned wire. This type of material does not do well in wet climates. Here in Vancouver, Canada a boreal rainforest, the wire crystallized and began to fracture.

Upon dismantle and re-assembly I could not find any significant design problems. In the DDR it was not the lack of expertise but mostly the lack of quality materials available at that particular time period.

When I stripped the cabinet I found a real wood base instead of MDF. Pin block material is the old style 3 ply laminate maple.
So I re-strung with Röslau and then HellerBass; re-finished in satin black, then brushed the finish with double zero steel wool.

Have a look;left click on any photo to enlarge. go forward or back using the arrows on either side of each frame.

https://picasaweb.google.com/1079905274 ... redirect=1

Best of luck with the purchase.
Dan Silverwood
http://www.silverwoodpianos.com/
http://silverwoodpianos.blogspot.com/
"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur."
joseph
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by joseph »

Dan, that Bluthner is looking good! Well done, I'd love to hear it. Can you post sound clips?

OP, 3.5 is a decent price for the piano, consider that a dealer would sell it for much much more, perhaps 10 or 11, however that would be serviced with some kind of warranty. Sold as seen I'd say that's about right.