collard & collard restoration

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

fourboys

collard & collard restoration

Post by fourboys »

Hi
I have an Collard and Collard piano, with a rosewood finish and ivory keys (I think after looking at pix in the internet) C1916 - I know that because it was may grandmother's and we still have the receipt! It was used a lot by my grandma, as she was a teacher and then following her death it suffered quite a few house moves, first with my parents and then later with me. As you can imagine its suffered quite a lot - a few keys don't work and both pedals have stopped working. I also think the dampers have gone and its very out of tune. Saying that I'm very attached to it and it does after a fashion have a lovely tone and would like to have it restored and repaired. I remember my grandma had the opportunity to swap the piano for a baby grand but didn't because her piano was better, but maybe she was attached to the thing to. Its super heavy being iron framed and its over strung. I'd like some advice of who I should take it to for an estimate for the repairs. I live just outside Cardiff. I haven't a bottomless pit of money. However my son is learning the piano, and really needs something that works!! So I suppose I really need to know whether I should put sentiment over logic and buy a new one. Gosh its tough decision - HELP!!
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: collard & collard restoration

Post by Barrie Heaton »

You need a visit to give you the full appraisal

Get a tuner in to see if it will tuned to concert pitch if it will then it may just be action work that needs doing and should be worth it.

If it will not tune up, then you will need a full recondition including a restring that could cost your from £3000 to £10,000 for an upright depending who and what needs doing to the rest of the piano.

You could buy a nice piano for your son for £3,000 but not with as nice a case

Barrie
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
fourboys

Post by fourboys »

Thanks for getting back to me - the case is a bit of a story on its own, as not all of it is rosewood...my uncle was a pilot during ww2 and was shot down during a raid and my grandfather was so distraught he took a axe to the piano! It was repaired very well as my grandmother was a piano teacher and concert pianist but I wonder how much of the wood is genuine. With all this history you can see why I'd like to keep it! Could you recommend any good local tuners as the ones on this website seem quite a distance (Newport) Is there any qualifications I should be looking for. I would really prefer one that could not only tune the piano but who would also carry out the repairs if able.
Thanks again
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

fourboys wrote:Thanks for getting back to me - the case is a bit of a story on its own, as not all of it is rosewood...my uncle was a pilot during ww2 and was shot down during a raid and my grandfather was so distraught he took a axe to the piano! It was repaired very well as my grandmother was a piano teacher and concert pianist but I wonder how much of the wood is genuine. With all this history you can see why I'd like to keep it! Could you recommend any good local tuners as the ones on this website seem quite a distance (Newport) Is there any qualifications I should be looking for. I would really prefer one that could not only tune the piano but who would also carry out the repairs if able.
Thanks again
You could try Cheltenham pianos they will do a nice job or Bristol Pianos. Steve Workman may come out to look at it for you. He lives in Newport but he is semi retired 01633431574 - You Have Mr Nigel Lefurve in Swansea very good

Barrie
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
fourboys

Post by fourboys »

Thanks I will try them - Will they charge a lot to come to Cardiff though? Quite a trek I would have thought. Will keep you posted!
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

fourboys wrote:Thanks I will try them - Will they charge a lot to come to Cardiff though? Quite a trek I would have thought. Will keep you posted!
All depend if they have work in that area - some of us pull our face if we have to travel 5 miles others are happy to do 180 miles round trip ask and you will find out

Barrie
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
Colin Nicholson
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by Colin Nicholson »

fourboys wrote:Thanks I will try them - Will they charge a lot to come to Cardiff though? Quite a trek I would have thought. Will keep you posted!
Best to just pick up the phone and ask them.
I went to London recently - about 430 mile round trip (with tubes/ taxis etc) - cheaper than car.... and customer paid my tickets - about £100 - I didnt charge to look at the piano, but while I was there, I tuned it & charged normal rate. Piano ought to be inspected first though.... keep the axe, just in case!!
AA Piano Tuners UK

Colin Nicholson Dip. Mus. CMIT CLCM PTLLS
Piano tuning & repairs. Full UK restoration service
http://www.aatuners.com
Tuition ~ Accompaniment ~ Weddings
http://www.pianotime1964.com
Member of The Guild of Master Craftsmen
joe
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by joe »

Barrie Heaton wrote:You need a visit to give you the full appraisal

Get a tuner in to see if it will tuned to concert pitch if it will then it may just be action work that needs doing and should be worth it.

If it will not tune up, then you will need a full recondition including a restring that could cost your from £3000 to £10,000 for an upright depending who and what needs doing to the rest of the piano.

You could buy a nice piano for your son for £3,000 but not with as nice a case

Barrie
Good honest advice.
MarkGoodwinPianos
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by MarkGoodwinPianos »

If you want your Son to learn piano you need to either get rid of this piano or buy an extra piano. It would be really nice to keep this piano because of its history but it will never ever EVER do any justice to your son learning on it. It may force him to quit due to the poor quality.

Get a nice reliable modern piano for him to learn on and if you have the space then keep the old piano as well. If you don't have the space for 2 pianos then perhaps just keep the top & bottom panel of the old piano for prosperity and scrap the rest.

I'm really sorry to be blunt but if you want to give a young pianist half a chance of enjoying his practise then you need to get a different piano.

It's a really great story though and if I were you I would want to keep hold of at least part of that piano to remind me of that story. But as a musical instrument it sounds like it's had it's day.
Yamaha Pianos for sale (usually 50+ in stock)
email markgoodwinpianos@gmail.com with any Yamaha, Kawai, Bechstein or Steinway questions :)
Colin Nicholson
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

I teach several pupils on various torture cabinets!!!! ...... they always shake their heads in disbelief.... and I just say .... "I know" !
Then.... one parent listened to me - bought a newer piano, and WOW - he has taken to it like a duck to water - and also whizzed through 2 ABRSM grades with distinction

cant say more than that.
AA Piano Tuners UK

MarkGoodwinPianos
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by MarkGoodwinPianos »

It's amazing how many wealthy families will buy 3 posh cars, a huge house, 4 posh annual holidays, a posh new kitchen etc etc BEFORE they will consider upgrading the house piano even though their kids are on grade 4 or 5.

Come on parents of the UK. Get your priorities in order!
Yamaha Pianos for sale (usually 50+ in stock)
email markgoodwinpianos@gmail.com with any Yamaha, Kawai, Bechstein or Steinway questions :)
Colin Nicholson
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

The barn conversions are the best.... I went to one in Cleckheaton, 3 barns knocked into one.... HUGE HUGE kitchen & living room.... and (ahem) - shoved in the corner of the "skullery" (thats a utility combined garage) - a lovely 1900s straight strung!! - I felt guilty moving the spiders aside
AA Piano Tuners UK

Gill the Piano

Post by Gill the Piano »

Went to a huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuge Thames-side house and was led to a room larger than our cottage and garden combined. 12 acre telly, Bang & Olufsen sound system, carpet deep as corn in a field. Barnes 1940s bichord skulking in a corner, notes not even in the right order. I said it would require two tunings to sort it out. 'Ooo no, that would be terribly expensive. And he's only learning'. :shock:
I play for my own amazement... :piano;
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

MarkGoodwinPianos wrote:
Come on parents of the UK. Get your priorities in order!
They have they got mum a 4X4 monster to take the kids to school as its too far to walk 1/4 of a mile to school :roll:

Barrie
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
Gill the Piano

Post by Gill the Piano »

Loo, you got that right, boy! Martlow's wall-to-wall with ex-Londoners who have bought Chelsea tractors because 'Tabitha has a cello and there's a nasty slope at trhe back of Waitrose...'
I play for my own amazement... :piano;