Pls help value my Offenbach Baby Grand

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

kevshek

Pls help value my Offenbach Baby Grand

Post by kevshek »

My family and i are looking to sell our Gloss Black Offenbach Baby Grand Piano (model G024569). Its approx 5ft. Weve owned it for over 20 years, but for the past upmteen years, its just been sitting in the dining room. We cant remember how much it was back in the day but would like to get an idea of its value so we can gauge if its worth selling.

It comes with a double stool with storage lid, every key is functioning but it will require some tuning. It does not sound out of tune, but im not a professional. There are some scratches/marks around on the lid of the piano and to the keyboard but these may polish out.

Heres some pictures, but if anyone can give me some pricing guides, then that would be great.
Kev

Gill the Piano

Re: Pls help value my Offenbach Baby Grand

Post by Gill the Piano »

You can't value a piano without seeing it in the flesh; get your local tuner's opinion, as it'll need to be tuned if you're selling it.
I play for my own amazement... :piano;
kevshek

Post by kevshek »

ok thanks, i was hoping to sell it as is and let the new owner sort out the tuning.
Colin Nicholson
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by Colin Nicholson »

As often said on this forum, to rely on a possible customer to buy it then have it tuned themselves will involve either selling your piano privately (which you will need a valuation from a tuner - who may not fully tune it, just test the pins), or sell it on auction. Private sale may get you more money, but there is advertising. Add about £50 to the price and include a free tuning on delivery, or add on about £170 and include local delivery & tuning when delivered.

Keep the stool separate - then if they walk away, include the stool - works every time, or maybe say you wanted £XXX for the stool, but willing to throw it in.

If you want a quick sale,/ no tuning/ no involvement/ removal sorted quickly - no hassle - cash in the hand - then ring about 3 different piano suppliers/ trades, and ask them to come and see your piano.... the one that offers the best money, take it. Make sure its cash up-front. It'll then be taken away within a few days - job done.
AA Piano Tuners UK

Colin Nicholson Dip. Mus. CMIT CLCM PTLLS
Piano tuning & repairs. Full UK restoration service
http://www.aatuners.com
Tuition ~ Accompaniment ~ Weddings
http://www.pianotime1964.com
Member of The Guild of Master Craftsmen
Colin Nicholson
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Just seen this on Ebay.
Its not a bad guide price £3K .... but should start lower & hopefully work up to it.
Scratches are NOT EASY to get out, and will be costly.
I would also remove the sad story - looks bad, and negative.... not what I would want to see if paying £3K!!

Also - GET RID of the clothing on the radiator and everything in the room - and whatever is under the piano??? - just the piano only - no lamps/ sofas/ toys/ knickers etc !!!!!! I like the inside of the piano photos - good.

"Getting a tuner" >>>>.. aah!! doesnt sound right here.
You've mentioned nothing about the piano - tone, age (although you've shown the serial number - this means nothing without you stating the date) ....

Drop the price a bit & clean up your photos, should hopefully get a bid then - but dont be greedy - seen MUCH BETTER pianos for 3K - and dont forget the recession.

Hope that helps ....
AA Piano Tuners UK

joe
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by joe »

kevshek wrote:My family and i are looking to sell our Gloss Black Offenbach Baby Grand Piano (model G024569). Its approx 5ft. Weve owned it for over 20 years, but for the past upmteen years, its just been sitting in the dining room. We cant remember how much it was back in the day but would like to get an idea of its value so we can gauge if its worth selling.

It comes with a double stool with storage lid, every key is functioning but it will require some tuning. It does not sound out of tune, but im not a professional. There are some scratches/marks around on the lid of the piano and to the keyboard but these may polish out.

Heres some pictures, but if anyone can give me some pricing guides, then that would be great.
Kev

Realistic price on a private sale would be £1,500 to £1,800.
MarkGoodwinPianos
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by MarkGoodwinPianos »

I agree with Colin and Joe.

Just take the original price paid, divide it by 4 or 5 and you've got your ebay price

Joe has got the private sale price about right.

I'll give £1000 if you email me at markgoodwinpianos@gmail.com

Whatever you decide to do, good luck :)
Yamaha Pianos for sale (usually 50+ in stock)
email markgoodwinpianos@gmail.com with any Yamaha, Kawai, Bechstein or Steinway questions :)
Colin Nicholson
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

I think this guy has gone "cold" Mark - he made a slight change to his ad - and showing a tuner playing the piano - but to me, still sounded out of tune!

The piano is on the "Grand Piano" section of Ebay (from Wallsend) - might be worth sending him a PM on Ebay?
AA Piano Tuners UK

MarkGoodwinPianos
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by MarkGoodwinPianos »

Whilst checking ebay I found this offenbach for £200,000!!!

I'm amused by the left hand movement at the final couple of seconds of that video on ebay :roll: :shock: :?
Yamaha Pianos for sale (usually 50+ in stock)
email markgoodwinpianos@gmail.com with any Yamaha, Kawai, Bechstein or Steinway questions :)
Colin Nicholson
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Not heard that before ......the RH in G minor, and the left hand last note in F# minor !.... maybe my tuning skills are not right?
AA Piano Tuners UK

dancarney
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by dancarney »

There is also a really odd beat created with the final descending arpeggio.
Dan Carney BMus(Hons) DipABRSM

Junior Piano Technician