edelweiss pianos from 1066 pianos

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

Tenor1
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

edelweiss pianos from 1066 pianos

Post by Tenor1 »

1066 pianos have their own brand 'edelweiss' they do a good (on paper as i haven't tried one yet) concert grand with Renner action. Does anyone on the forum know who makes these pianos for them, I suspect they are manufactured in the Far East but i may be wrong.
MarkGoodwinPianos
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Re: edelweiss pianos from 1066 pianos

Post by MarkGoodwinPianos »

Highly likely to be Chinese.

I thought of an analogy today regarding Chinese pianos.

TV adverts would have you believe that Kellogs Frosties are healthy
Piano manufacturers will have you believe that their cheapest lines are top quality.

The 2 claims are very similar.
Yamaha Pianos for sale (usually 50+ in stock)
email markgoodwinpianos@gmail.com with any Yamaha, Kawai, Bechstein or Steinway questions :)
mdw
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by mdw »

:roll:
NewAge
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by NewAge »

MarkGoodwinPianos wrote:Highly likely to be Chinese.

Piano manufacturers will have you believe that their cheapest lines are top quality.

What, you mean like Snap, Crackle......& Pop tunes!
I was playing the piano in a zoo, when the elephant burst into tears. I said, "Don't you recognize the tune?" He replied, "No, I recognize the ivories!"
Colin Nicholson
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by Colin Nicholson »

I met the rep chap from 1066 pianos a couple of years ago.... Norman (someone).... cant remember his surname. He drove up to Yorkshire in a day ,,,, I think they are based in Cambridge?

Anyway, yes, the cases are made in China somewhere.... and those ones with the pink butterfly lids!!.... look a bit gimmicky for my liking, and maybe ideal for a wedding pianist!!!!....... never tried them, so dont know.
AA Piano Tuners UK

Colin Nicholson Dip. Mus. CMIT CLCM PTLLS
Piano tuning & repairs. Full UK restoration service
http://www.aatuners.com
Tuition ~ Accompaniment ~ Weddings
http://www.pianotime1964.com
Member of The Guild of Master Craftsmen
joe
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by joe »

Chris Norman 1066 is a very respected piano trader and some of their restored pianos are excellent,must be trying to break into the new piano market but the public are not daft and will not fall in love with the sound of music brand names,its an old trick which as been around over 100 years rebadging and renaming pianos to try protect profit margins and stop the public shopping around to try and achieve a better price,God loves a trier and there are plenty of them around clutching at straws to try maintain their piano businesses they have worked hard to establish.
Tenor1
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by Tenor1 »

joe wrote:Chris Norman 1066 is a very respected piano trader and some of their restored pianos are excellent,must be trying to break into the new piano market but the public are not daft and will not fall in love with the sound of music brand names,its an old trick which as been around over 100 years rebadging and renaming pianos to try protect profit margins and stop the public shopping around to try and achieve a better price,God loves a trier and there are plenty of them around clutching at straws to try maintain their piano businesses they have worked hard to establish.

What blurb there is on the concert grand reads...... well Renner action etc I have emailed them about where they are made - to no avail. I suggested Young Chang!..... silence
Tenor1
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by Tenor1 »

NewAge wrote:
MarkGoodwinPianos wrote:Highly likely to be Chinese.

What, you mean like Snap, Crackle......& Pop tunes!

Some chinese pianos ie Brodmann are very good quality indeed.
Last edited by Tenor1 on 30 Aug 2011, 16:57, edited 1 time in total.
Bob Pierce
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by Bob Pierce »

They are made in China, last one I saw had a chinese action with Abel hammers. Must be changing things :o
sussexpianos
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by sussexpianos »

joe wrote:Chris Norman 1066 is a very respected piano trader and some of their restored pianos are excellent,must be trying to break into the new piano market but the public are not daft and will not fall in love with the sound of music brand names,its an old trick which as been around over 100 years rebadging and renaming pianos to try protect profit margins and stop the public shopping around to try and achieve a better price,God loves a trier and there are plenty of them around clutching at straws to try maintain their piano businesses they have worked hard to establish.
nothing wrong with making a living, its hard for us piano businesses competing against internet discounters, investing in stock, increased rent, insurance etc. Its hard when you spend an hour with a customer, and then for them to buy a discounted one off the net. Having your own brand stops all that.
A piano tuner is the "Unseen artist". www.sussexpianos.co.uk
Members of the PTA & I.M.I.T., MIA and Trading Standards Approved. C&G qualified and N&S Diploma. PTD(Precision Touch Design) Technician.
rgreig
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by rgreig »

Tenor1 wrote:
I would be interested in the view from the forum tuners on Brodmann. When I was looking for a piano, I visited a dealer who was an agent for Brodmann (amongst others). I did not particularly like the tone, but in any case the dealer was quite candid and told me that even if I had liked it he would not recommend it because the action would not last the pace. (I don't *think* this was a comment on my playing!).

I should add that the dealer was not trying to sell me something more expensive.

Robert
Tenor1
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by Tenor1 »

rgreig wrote:
Tenor1 wrote:
I would be interested in the view from the forum tuners on Brodmann. When I was looking for a piano, I visited a dealer who was an agent for Brodmann (amongst others). I did not particularly like the tone, but in any case the dealer was quite candid and told me that even if I had liked it he would not recommend it because the action would not last the pace. (I don't *think* this was a comment on my playing!).

I should add that the dealer was not trying to sell me something more expensive.

Robert
Where was the dealer based?

There is a member of this forum Joseph who is a concert pianist and he rates his Brodmann very highly I think he has had it for 4 years. I suspect he will practise 4 hours or so a day and he has told me he is very happy with it. The one i have come across have been excellent pianos and my technician agrees. In the US Brodmann is very highly rated.
joe
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by joe »

Tenor1 wrote:
rgreig wrote:
Tenor1 wrote:

Robert
Where was the dealer based? The dealer was based in Glasgow and is running the shop on behalf of an Edinburgh importers so has no say in what he stocks as he is a manger not an owner.Joseph indeed is a classical pianist should ask him what he paid for his,think its was bought pre-price hike increase,and he has 2 very competent techs maintaining the instrument probably more frequent than he would prefer.Stay away from these overpriced,valueless pianos.

There is a member of this forum Joseph who is a concert pianist and he rates his Brodmann very highly I think he has had it for 4 years. I suspect he will practise 4 hours or so a day and he has told me he is very happy with it. The one i have come across have been excellent pianos and my technician agrees. In the US Brodmann is very highly rated.
joe
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by joe »

Regards the piano referred to in previous threads,roughly 4 to 5 years ago the piano was 75% less retail than its suggested RRP now and i know of 2 well respected piano tutors who where virtually given the grand piano for free to try promote the brand to their pupils,smart ploy not really as the students where of conservertoire standard.and the 2 techs where kept busy attending to the niggles that a low quality grand piano produces.
MarkGoodwinPianos
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by MarkGoodwinPianos »

joe wrote:i know of 2 well respected piano tutors who where virtually given the grand piano for free to try promote the brand to their pupils,smart ploy not really as the students where of conservertoire standard.and the 2 techs where kept busy attending to the niggles that a low quality grand piano produces.
Oops!

Good pianos promote themselves.
Yamaha Pianos for sale (usually 50+ in stock)
email markgoodwinpianos@gmail.com with any Yamaha, Kawai, Bechstein or Steinway questions :)
joe
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by joe »

MarkGoodwinPianos wrote:
joe wrote:i know of 2 well respected piano tutors who where virtually given the grand piano for free to try promote the brand to their pupils,smart ploy not really as the students where of conservertoire standard.and the 2 techs where kept busy attending to the niggles that a low quality grand piano produces.
Oops!

You are half-right,regular competent tuning,regulation,toning and basic general maintenance once every couple of years helps depending on the pianos usage.If buying new stick with the proven manufacturers,stay way from the overpriced Chinese tat,and false selling tatics used by the wholesalers and retailers to promote these products.
Tenor1
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by Tenor1 »

joe wrote:
MarkGoodwinPianos wrote:
Oops!

You are half-right,regular competent tuning,regulation,toning and basic general maintenance once every couple of years helps depending on the pianos usage.If buying new stick with the proven manufacturers,stay way from the overpriced Chinese tat,and false selling tatics used by the wholesalers and retailers to promote these products.
I take you are not a fan of pianos from Asia!
joe
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by joe »

Nothing wrong with the Japanese pianos,and buying others which are covered by warranties offered by Steinway,Yamaha,Kawai,Boston,Essex etc,not a fan of every Tom,Dick and Harry trying to promote their particular favourite Chinese piano,just because they stock it, and can make a profit of it, they would sell their souls to make a few quid.Back to orginal thread if someone want to buy an "EDELWEISS PIANO" as a self-player,or an ornament,fine,spend your money you earned it,but certainly not for a player or an eager student.