Spares & Repairs ?

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

Colin Nicholson
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Spares & Repairs ?

Post by Colin Nicholson »

I just wondered if anyone on this forum ever consider "Spares & Repairs" for pianos?

To give you an example....

As a hobby of mine (well, sometimes it takes over my day job!!), I build new and 2nd hand Radio Controlled Nitro/ Petrol cars, buggies, trucks etc.... and always grovelling around on Ebay for spares etc.... engines, servos, front & rear diff/ steering parts and so on. The sellers even sometimes make more on an item selling like that, being honest, and getting around £20 - £30 for a few bits.... better than nothing!

So.... could there be a provision on this forum (or a page dedicated to this) to offer advice, show diagrams/ pictures etc of how to offer old knackered/ split planked broken pianos for spares & repairs. Many as we know end up on the skip!!

Things like this are useful, and I'm always on the look out...... (2nd hand)

1. Hammer heads
2. Flanges
3. Jacks
4. Damper bits (overdamped wires/ wooden dollies etc)
5. Leaf/ spiral pedal springs
6. Ivory heads & tails

.... that sort of thing! So instead of just chopping it up, offer or advise about spares.

I once couldnt tune a Lidner - for obvious reasons with those snap-on flanges, so I offered the customer a tenner for the action.... happy as Larry they were.... and I just cut off the hammer heads (which were in very good condition), saved a few other bits & bobs.... set off screws, jack springs etc.... and chucked the rest out.

THEN,,,, the piano can be torched!!

Any ideas?
AA Piano Tuners UK

Colin Nicholson Dip. Mus. CMIT CLCM PTLLS
Piano tuning & repairs. Full UK restoration service
http://www.aatuners.com
Tuition ~ Accompaniment ~ Weddings
http://www.pianotime1964.com
Member of The Guild of Master Craftsmen
mdw
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Re: Spares & Repairs ?

Post by mdw »

I remember someone put a straight strung frame on ebay some time back. Just the frame. Mind you with the price of metal now its probably worth it.
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

Are we saying advice on how to take them apart or to repair them

Also do you mean a classified section were you could sell parts bit like what we have for the second-hand pianos

Barrie
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
Colin Nicholson
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by Colin Nicholson »

Not 100% sure how it would work.... and I think it also depends on the owner/ seller of the piano accepting that the piano is no longer of any use. I see pianos on eBay for a £1 .... probably knowing there are major problems, but not admitting it.
Not sure if it would work having a section dedicated to "spares & repairs".... but could be worth a try. The member could leave their name, make of piano, (tuner's verdict?), area they live, and parts available for salvage.

Again, not sure if this would work, and maybe need more input from others/ suggestions? Possibly best for the tuner to decide what is salvagable rather than someone having a room full of hammers, levers, dampers & keys!!

Just an idea.... no harm in asking!
AA Piano Tuners UK

Colin Nicholson Dip. Mus. CMIT CLCM PTLLS
Piano tuning & repairs. Full UK restoration service
http://www.aatuners.com
Tuition ~ Accompaniment ~ Weddings
http://www.pianotime1964.com
Member of The Guild of Master Craftsmen
mdw
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by mdw »

Colin Nicholson wrote: I see pianos on eBay for a £1 .... probably knowing there are major problems, but not admitting it.
I guarantee it. Its either that or pay to have them taken and broken up. We charge £150 for that service. £100 for the removal and £50 towards the skip. I guess most people prefer ebay for £1. To be quite honest if you only want to pay £1 for a piano and dont pay a tech for advice on its condition then you get what you deserve. and I dont have much sympathy.
sussexpianos
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by sussexpianos »

There are not many things to salvage on a piano. We dispose of around 10 pianos a month. The only things taken off are music desks, small hinges, action nuts(schools loose these), sometimes the ivories if in good condition, and maybe a pretty looking top panel. Other than that, everything is scrap.
I get loads of calls with " you can take it away for spares or restoration", thoses days are gone,
A piano tuner is the "Unseen artist". www.sussexpianos.co.uk
Members of the PTA & I.M.I.T., MIA and Trading Standards Approved. C&G qualified and N&S Diploma. PTD(Precision Touch Design) Technician.
daniela

Post by daniela »

I find it irritating whenever i go to a home where there's a piano displayed and when i ask the owner if I could play it, they would answer me that the piano's not functioning and it's there for display purposes only. :(
sussexpianos
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by sussexpianos »

daniela wrote:I find it irritating whenever i go to a home where there's a piano displayed and when i ask the owner if I could play it, they would answer me that the piano's not functioning and it's there for display purposes only. :(
Or its a bookcase or its been in the family too long to get rid of it or even get it repaired/tuned.
A piano tuner is the "Unseen artist". www.sussexpianos.co.uk
Members of the PTA & I.M.I.T., MIA and Trading Standards Approved. C&G qualified and N&S Diploma. PTD(Precision Touch Design) Technician.