I've finally done it - got my baby grand!

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

quinie
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

I've finally done it - got my baby grand!

Post by quinie »

Just wanted to let you know that thanks to all your help on here I have made my decision and got myself Kawai GM10 Baby Grand.

It is due to be delivered on Tuesday!

I am so excited!

I went for a 1998 model and I have bought it on a deal where I pay a £1250 deposit on Tuesday and 6 months later the balance (no interest). If I decide by then that I don't like the piano they will take it away and I can use the money I have already paid to go towards a different model of my choosing - grand or upright. The only money I will lose if I did that will be my £70 delivery fee - otherwise delivery is free.

They are giving me £600 off the price for my Rogers 1924 upright and the total is £5,600 - with a year's warranty.

I feel very happy about all of this and pretty sure that I have made the right decision.

I tried many and asked for a "soft touch" on the mechanism and they really did find my exactly what I wanted!

So thanks sooooo much for all your help - I was very very grateful!!!

Thanks again!

Anna
NewAge
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Re: I've finally done it - got my baby grand!

Post by NewAge »

Very pleased to hear you have found your piano at last. I presume that from the many you auditioned this was the one that 'spoke' to you and you just couldn't be without.
It sounds like you were given a reasonable trade-in too for your old Rogers.
With the deal I hope you were able to get the dealer to commit to include a stool, and most important 2 home tunings, the first approx 4-5 weeks after delivery, and the second some six months later.
Enjoy it.
I was playing the piano in a zoo, when the elephant burst into tears. I said, "Don't you recognize the tune?" He replied, "No, I recognize the ivories!"
quinie
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by quinie »

I got a stool and one home tuning (after 5/6 weeks) - will that do?! :D
NewAge
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by NewAge »

quinie wrote:I got a stool and one home tuning (after 5/6 weeks) - will that do?! :D
Yep. Pretty good.

Now that I have a Piano Life Saver installed, I could honestly be satisfied with one tuning per year, but still prefer to pay for 2 tunings/year. I look at this a little like car oil changes in accordance with the manufacturers handbook. It has to be doing some good and can certainly do no harm. 8)
I was playing the piano in a zoo, when the elephant burst into tears. I said, "Don't you recognize the tune?" He replied, "No, I recognize the ivories!"
quinie
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by quinie »

What's a piano life saver? :?:
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

quinie wrote:What's a piano life saver? :?:
http://www.fletcher-newman.co.uk/Piano- ... index.html
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
quinie
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by quinie »

Well it arrived yesterday!!!

It fits the space perfectly, looks great in the room and I think it plays and sounds really nice!!!

It definately needs a re-tune and a when I use the pedal the strings make a bit of a twangy sound but I am thinking this is something the tuner can tweak?

I am a very happy bunny though - it was really hard coming to work today and leaving it behind!!!!!
MarkGoodwinPianos
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by MarkGoodwinPianos »

Woop woop!
Give us a photo :)
Congrats!
Yamaha Pianos for sale (usually 50+ in stock)
email markgoodwinpianos@gmail.com with any Yamaha, Kawai, Bechstein or Steinway questions :)
quinie
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by quinie »

I will try but I'm not very good at uploading photos!!! :oops: :oops: