Piano Lifting Trolley on ebay

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

MarkGoodwinPianos
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Re: Piano Lifting Trolley on ebay

Post by MarkGoodwinPianos »

Thanks PL I was quite excited when I saw this topic.
Sadly I've used those trollies a few time and they are terrible. The piano wants to tip up when you go over the slightest little bump or you hit the smallest pebble. I think the wheelbase is too small.

Keep posting anything you find like this tho. I'm always looking for a 2nd hand piano cradle.
Yamaha Pianos for sale (usually 50+ in stock)
email markgoodwinpianos@gmail.com with any Yamaha, Kawai, Bechstein or Steinway questions :)
joe
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by joe »

Trolley looks fine to me,MG what trolley do you use?.
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

joe wrote:Trolley looks fine to me,MG what trolley do you use?.
The wheel base is smaller and they are a tad taller so big piano like U3
rock more and feel unstable. very good price thou if you are only moving small pianos or a one off job

our is £170.00 for the normal size one

Barrie
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
joe
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by joe »

Never had any problems with them even with a U3 or Steinway Vertegrand with the frame protruding by the plinth,when you have been moving and delivering pianos for the best part of 30 years kinda get used to it.Like the blow- up wheels trolley for going over gravel and stone driveways, :wink:
MarkGoodwinPianos
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Me and Dad hate using them that's all.
Barrie is right, they are taller with a smaller wheelbase. They do the job but we never complete a move without cursing the trolley if we end up having to use one of those for whatever reason.

Still, each to their own :)
email markgoodwinpianos@gmail.com with any Yamaha, Kawai, Bechstein or Steinway questions :)
NewAge
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by NewAge »

On the subject of piano trolleys, this may be of interest to some of you to see how it's sometimes done on the continent, equipment used etc.
I was "googling pianos' the other day and was pleasantly surprised to find my tuner/tech interviewed with a clip on YouTube.
Near the beginning he says tongue in cheek that since using this particular equipment he has made two groups of enemies, piano removers and physiotherapists, as he now no longer requires their services.....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KxvC7u6DZnk

Another similarly related clip follows. Same person/similar equipment in a different venue.
This particular model D was acquired new on a visit to Hamburg last year, the mat finish being particularly chosen he explains as the previous gloss finish models were creating a problem in the concert hall - reflection from the lights was frequently blinding the orchestra and preventing some players from clearly seeing the conductor.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fWNzo6p9ju4

I should imagine that equipment of this type is pretty expensive, and wouldn't be at all surprised to
learn that some manufacturers supply it on free of charge loan, although I could be mistaken.
I was playing the piano in a zoo, when the elephant burst into tears. I said, "Don't you recognize the tune?" He replied, "No, I recognize the ivories!"
MarkGoodwinPianos
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

I can't help but think that gadget causes more problems than it solves.
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

NewAge wrote: I should imagine that equipment of this type is pretty expensive, and wouldn't be at all surprised to
learn that some manufacturers supply it on free of charge loan, although I could be mistaken.
Simula to the link you gave the Klava system is not cheep but the same principle very good for moving big grands with out the use of a large team of men its about 15k if you do a lot of hire of Concert grand then it will pay for itself

That guy must get backache tuning stood up he is using a PDA as well

Barrie
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
sussexpianos
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by sussexpianos »

Brill, love it, its the future!
Where do you get the yellow skid and rotator? never seen it before. The klavier roller is nice but it wont go through doors very well as its very wide.
When hiring large grands, the big cost is transport. If you can do it by yourself or with the wife, lots of profit.
A piano tuner is the "Unseen artist". www.sussexpianos.co.uk
Members of the PTA & I.M.I.T., MIA and Trading Standards Approved. C&G qualified and N&S Diploma. PTD(Precision Touch Design) Technician.
mdw
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by mdw »

sussexpianos wrote:Brill, love it, its the future!
Where do you get the yellow skid and rotator? never seen it before.
Some of the bigger hire shops do that sort of thing.
MarkGoodwinPianos
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Man and wife piano removals!?!?!?!
joe
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by joe »

The name Butlers springs to mind where they not the Peters & Lee of the piano moving world for a while :twisted:
sussexpianos
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by sussexpianos »

I have asked for a quote for that Track O machine, any guesses anyone??
There is the German grand raiser and mover but its not good on rough surfaces or steps, so mostly for the studio/venue. The is another invention called the Piano Horse, invented to raise or lower grands by one person, off a shoe to get the leg on.
I know a few people who move grands by themselves so they earn a lot more and are more flexable. You can also use a scissor lift for stages, quite handy, and winches in the van is a common place now.
Members of the PTA & I.M.I.T., MIA and Trading Standards Approved. C&G qualified and N&S Diploma. PTD(Precision Touch Design) Technician.
mdw
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by mdw »

MarkGoodwinPianos wrote:Man and wife piano removals!?!?!?!
I know quite a few piano businesses that move pianos that way. Lets face it once its on a trolly which I do its only guiding it. We dont do grands or stairs and the only way I can guarantee no damage to a piano or customers house is if we do it ourselves. Plus the best bit the money stays in the family I dont have to employ any one else. Got to go now as............yep we are just off out to deliver a Kemble on a 2 day hire.
MarkGoodwinPianos
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

£2400 ?
sussexpianos
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by sussexpianos »

£18k! They said it is not good for carpets, eats them up!
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

sussexpianos wrote:£18k! They said it is not good for carpets, eats them up!
No so good if you are in lobby of the Savoy then @ 1000 sq meter
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
MarkGoodwinPianos
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

£18k!!!!!! And it won't work on carpet!!!!!
And it won't go round doorways!!!!!

It would take an age to make that money back. Plus it clogs up the back of your van
joe
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by joe »

I know 2 companies that are constantly using them to hire Steinway B and D grands to venues and swear by them,and they fit no problem in proper piano delivery vans.
NewAge
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by NewAge »

Here are a team of piano removers that must have more than cursed the owner on seeing where he lived!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UYA-vVFX ... re=related

Hope they received a good tip.
Just as well there are no lighthouse keepers who play an acoustic piano....... :wink:
I was playing the piano in a zoo, when the elephant burst into tears. I said, "Don't you recognize the tune?" He replied, "No, I recognize the ivories!"
MarkGoodwinPianos
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

My movers took a U3 up 32 steps this week. No complaints, no moaning, no £18,000 gadget :mrgreen:
sussexpianos
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by sussexpianos »

Got a quote from CTE Pianoplan. They do one which looks like the Tracko, it can also lift horisontal to get the grand on stage. £10k +vat.
Today I saw the new shape/design grand shoes. Very nice. No side skid, more molded on the side and another further down to stop it slipping and banging the corner. Think I might make a few :)
Mortonhalden

Post by Mortonhalden »

Piano is musical instrument and it is gives you great music. You could not lift it easily and that is why trolley is more useful for to lift it and transfer it to other place.
athomik
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by athomik »

Considering the drop in sales over the last few years, how many pianos do you have to sell to justify a gizzmo to make the job a bit easier?
Admin010

Post by Admin010 »

thanks