Moutrie Pianos

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

Hansel
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Moutrie Pianos

Post by Hansel »

Anyone have an opinion on Moutrie pianos, although chinese the company does seem to have some history or is this just marketing hype and the truth is original factory closed, name sold on etc ?
Colin Nicholson
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Re: Moutrie Pianos

Post by Colin Nicholson »

The name itself has little meaning on its own, unless some photos can be uploaded onto here?

What kind of opinion are you after?
Tone production, structure, action & stringing design.... etc
Please remember that we cannot valuate pianos on this forum.

I believe they were in existence around 1895, producing just over 8,000 pianos, but the name alone will not indicate the piano's condition - unless the piano in question has been re-named/ stencilled and reproduced. Also there will be many personal opinions!
AA Piano Tuners UK

Colin Nicholson Dip. Mus. CMIT CLCM PTLLS
Piano tuning & repairs. Full UK restoration service
http://www.aatuners.com
Tuition ~ Accompaniment ~ Weddings
http://www.pianotime1964.com
Member of The Guild of Master Craftsmen
MarkGoodwinPianos
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by MarkGoodwinPianos »

Modern Chinese piano manufacturing companies snap up the old names to give the impression of history to their pianos.

Some Chinese pianos are probably OK for the price. They are never as good as Japanese pianos which can be picked up for similar prices (reconditioned, not new of course) but it just depends what you are after.

Consider a reconditioned Yamaha U1 as an affordable alternative to new Chinese pianos. Search Google for Yamaha U1 to find a number of shops selling those.
Yamaha Pianos for sale (usually 50+ in stock)
email markgoodwinpianos@gmail.com with any Yamaha, Kawai, Bechstein or Steinway questions :)
Hansel
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by Hansel »

Sorry not to make myself clear.
I was referring to new pianos as sold by a large retailer in Manchester. I asked to question as the marketing blurb suggests they were originally an English company which has been around for over 100 years manufacturing in china for English ex-pats.

Regards
MarkGoodwinPianos
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Most Chinese manufacturers use names that used to be made somewhere else.
It's just a name that usually has no ties whatsoever with the original company. The brand therefore carries no promise of quality.

Currently, Chinese and Indonesian piano factories are being used to produce the world's cheapest and least quality pianos. Look to Japan for a good combination of top quality and sensible price. Look to Germany for the best of the best.
email markgoodwinpianos@gmail.com with any Yamaha, Kawai, Bechstein or Steinway questions :)
Colin Nicholson
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by Colin Nicholson »

Here are some things I've noticed about some cheaper imported Chinese/ Indonesian pianos:-

1. Look ok in various coloured polyester finishes & easy to clean.
2. Poor quality mechanism materials (cushion felt/ cloth) - resulting in piano prematurely going out of adjustment (regulation) - after a few months.
3. Instruments not finely regulated, and further work necessary by tuner.
4. 'Pock' marked/ poor finish on cast frame.
5. Cheaper laminated wrest planks, resulting in tuning pins becoming 'spongy' after 2 years of tuning.
6. Key bushings wearing quickly, resulting in keys wobbling side to side/ keys not level.

7. Various named pianos with no origin/ no serial numbers.

Thats from my personal experience as a tuner.... and some of these pianos sell for over £3K !!
AA Piano Tuners UK

Colin Nicholson Dip. Mus. CMIT CLCM PTLLS
Piano tuning & repairs. Full UK restoration service
http://www.aatuners.com
Tuition ~ Accompaniment ~ Weddings
http://www.pianotime1964.com
Member of The Guild of Master Craftsmen
D.J.Smith
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by D.J.Smith »

Hansell.
The dealer is telling you the truth. Of course, this does not give any indication as to the quality of the pianos they produce today. You must make your own judgment about that.
MarkGoodwinPianos
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Colin Nicholson wrote:Here are some things I've noticed about some cheaper imported Chinese/ Indonesian pianos:-

1. Look ok in various coloured polyester finishes & easy to clean.
2. Poor quality mechanism materials (cushion felt/ cloth) - resulting in piano prematurely going out of adjustment (regulation) - after a few months.
3. Instruments not finely regulated, and further work necessary by tuner.
4. 'Pock' marked/ poor finish on cast frame.
5. Cheaper laminated wrest planks, resulting in tuning pins becoming 'spongy' after 2 years of tuning.
6. Key bushings wearing quickly, resulting in keys wobbling side to side/ keys not level.
7. Various named pianos with no origin/ no serial numbers.

Thats from my personal experience as a tuner.... and some of these pianos sell for over £3K !!
Every couple of years I get a couple of new Chinese pianos in stock because the claims get bigger and bigger that they are now finally of a sufficient quality to be relied upon. So I take a chance and stock a couple.

However, so far I've only ever given them away (literally), passed them on in the trade or put them on ebay for £1 with no reserve. I can't bring myself to retail them in case a customer is as disappointed with them as I am.

So for now, it's Japanese all the way for me.
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

Hansel wrote:Anyone have an opinion on Moutrie pianos, although chinese the company does seem to have some history or is this just marketing hype and the truth is original factory closed, name sold on etc ?
Grands if you put the Moutrie 186 at the side of a GB1 the base of the Moutrie is far richer the top treble of the GB1 is better The Action of the GB1 is better However, the Moutrie has improved.
Tunings Hmm the Moutrie take a lot of tunings from new to settle in The big down site from a tuners angle in that the Moutrie has had a lot of input form Iback and that shows, when the string leave the agrafe they then go up an incline to the pin, not a problem now. But could be in the future as in drag.
Moutrie 5K Gb1 7K of course if you put the GB1 to the same size Moutrie the Gb1 wins hand down but... a big difference in price 3K

Uprights the 122 are quite good for the price but again its the Iback input on the agrafe that is a pain from a tuners point of view

On the whole they are as good if not better than most cheep end of the Chinese pianos. They voice down nicely don't sound wooden like some of the other Chinese made pianos when voiced down

Its all down to your budget if its is a piano for life or just a stepping stone

I have quite a few my round, most are very happy with them. Some upgraded to C3 later on

Barrie,
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page