Richard Lawson Pianos - anyone bought from them?

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

Tim

Richard Lawson Pianos - anyone bought from them?

Post by Tim »

Good afternoon guys, first post on the forum so i'll try to keep it succinct.

Has anyone bought from Richard Lawson pianos, and if so, how did you find the experience? I am currently considering buying a second hand Yamaha U1, from 1985. So far everything seems ok, answers to my questions have all been satisfactory, but before i go ahead with any decision i thought it might be best to check up a little.

The piano is going to be tuned to concert pitch, i've been advised i will get free tuning in my home, once the settling in period has elapsed, and a 5 year warranty is offered with the product.

Richard sells on eBay and his feedback is 100% positive, from 500+ comments, so i assume this is a good sign.

I'd really appreciate any help or advice that could be offered.

Thanks,
Tim
Colin Nicholson
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Re: Richard Lawson Pianos - anyone bought from them?

Post by Colin Nicholson »

Everything sounds above-board, and rightly so, the service you expect - and I think you have answered your own questions! Presumably you have checked his 100% status & feedback comments on Ebay?
U1 is a good piano - just out of interest, how much is it? and does it include delivery & stool? & has the action been refurbished?

Not heard of Lawson, but other viewing this may have heard of him.
AA Piano Tuners UK

Colin Nicholson Dip. Mus. CMIT CLCM PTLLS
Piano tuning & repairs. Full UK restoration service
http://www.aatuners.com
Tuition ~ Accompaniment ~ Weddings
http://www.pianotime1964.com
Member of The Guild of Master Craftsmen
Colin Nicholson
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Yeh, just had a look - and seems OK & prices reasonable. The piano should already be at "Concert Pitch" (or very near) for any Yamaha piano, they hold their pitch well. The tuning after deliver will be a "fine" tuning - sometimes the occasional unison may drift out of tune during transportation/ and after settling in your home. | presume you have been briefed about humidity & temperature levels?

Just check the serial number to make sure it is 1985 - should be around a 7 digit number, starting
39XXXXX, or if preceded with U1, it may start U174XXX - this depends on where it was made.
AA Piano Tuners UK

Tim

Post by Tim »

Thanks for your replies guys, it’s nice to know I’m not a million miles off with my thoughts so far.

With regard to the age, the advert doesn’t state 1985, but rather the serial number, beginning with 360XXXX which I assumed to be around ’85. I’m guessing it’s probably more like 83/84 if 39XXXXX is ’85?

Humidity and temperature levels, I understand that in the winter months, when the heating is on, I should attempt to keep a level of moisture around the piano, and have seen there are various methods by which this can be done. Is there anything else I should know in regard to this?

The eBay feedback – I’ve had a look through quite a number of the comments, they seem to go back for some time and are for a wide variety of products. From what I can see, everything looks to be legitimate. The seller is an eBay recognised seller, so I assume that this also makes him much more likely to be legitimate.

I have agreed a price, including delivery and a stool. I don’t want to go into the specifics as I feel that may be unfair on the seller’s future transactions, however I will say that I managed to get him to agree to the inclusion of a stool at no extra cost – the minimum I would expect really, when spending this amount of money on a piano.

The piano is currently tuned to concert pitch and the free fine tuning, following settling, will again be to this level. The piano has been reconditioned in their own workshop, including the removal of dust and grime from underneath all the keys.

I have also asked about any faults with the piano, however minor and have been advised that there are none to report – here’s hoping!
Colin Nicholson
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Yeh, the number suggests around 1983 - so fairly new in piano terms.
I might suggest you purchase a hygrometer & temperature gauge to keep an eye on things - you can get them will as a dual gauge - ask your tuner. Humidity should be between 40 - 70% and temperature..... well, as cool as possible, without freezing you off the bone! If you have the central heating on very much in winter, might be an idea to get a hydroceel tube - but check with your tuner so it doesn't snag against the middle practise pedal mechanism. Don't bother with bowls of water !!

If it gets very cold in the winter & temp drops suddenly, but humidity rises - a "dampp chaser" is recommended, but only for extreme conditions. I keep my hygrometer inside the piano. If your house is well insulated, like mine, a hydroceel is only usually needed - but I would seek advice from your tuner aswell.

Sounds a good piano....... enjoy!

Colin
AA Piano Tuners UK

mdw
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by mdw »

Tim wrote:however I will say that I managed to get him to agree to the inclusion of a stool at no extra cost – the minimum I would expect really, when spending this amount of money on a piano.
Hope its a nice Tozer or John Austin fixed leg which should last you for ever.
Tim

Post by Tim »

Colin Nicholson wrote:Yeh, the number suggests around 1983 - so fairly new in piano terms.
I might suggest you purchase a hygrometer & temperature gauge to keep an eye on things - you can get them will as a dual gauge - ask your tuner. Humidity should be between 40 - 70% and temperature..... well, as cool as possible, without freezing you off the bone! If you have the central heating on very much in winter, might be an idea to get a hydroceel tube - but check with your tuner so it doesn't snag against the middle practise pedal mechanism. Don't bother with bowls of water !!

If it gets very cold in the winter & temp drops suddenly, but humidity rises - a "dampp chaser" is recommended, but only for extreme conditions. I keep my hygrometer inside the piano. If your house is well insulated, like mine, a hydroceel is only usually needed - but I would seek advice from your tuner aswell.

Sounds a good piano....... enjoy!

Colin
Hi Colin, thanks very much for all that info, i'll make sure to ask the tuner, about the hygrometer/temperature guage, when he's at the house - as well as the hydroceel, which i've never heard of. I really had no idea about that type of thing until i joined this forum. We had a piano in my parent's house for years, but never took care of it as well as it should have been. I think it's had 1 tuning in the 20years, or so, that we've had it. It still holds it's tune remarkably well, but i'm sure it would be a lot better if it had been better maintained.

Re the stool, i'm unsure of the brand, however this is the actual stool. Obviously i've not seen it in the flesh, but judging by appearance, i think it'll do the job for a good while.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/PIANO-STOOL-ADJUS ... 2308a20a0c

I'd just like to say thanks again for your input, i really appreciate you taking the time to help.

Tim
mdw
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by mdw »

Its a bolt on leg, if you look at the pic from underneath you can see the bolts. If you keep the bolts tight you should get a couple of years out of it, then look for a Tozer or John Austin. 3 times the price but will last for ever and be nicer to use.
Colin Nicholson
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

A hydroceel is a sealed plastic tube, a bit small in diameter than a sink waste pipe, and has slits cut out of it - its about 3ft in length. Inside are filters - simply completely immerse it into cold bath water, to allow the water to enter the tube - leave it for a few mins, then lift it out & dry it off. The hydroceel will now be heavily soaked in water inside the filters. It comes with 2 'U' shaped brackets, and just sit it on the inside of the bottom board (the one that covers the pedal mech/ hitch pins). Take care drilling into polyester - put some masking tape over the area to be drilled first (bit like drilling into tiles) - so the drill bit doesn't slip.

Remember with pianos, SHRINKAGE + COMPRESSION.

Shrinkage happens over a longer period of time, like the wooden parts/ rails/ soundboard etc, and if wood dries out too much, it can change the geometry of the piano - so the hydroceel is good for that in warm conditions. You won't see the effects till about 15-20 years down the line!

Compression happens over a shorter period of time - cloth/felt/baize/leather...... all materials eventually become compressed with age & use, so your piano will need to be regulated in about 3 years time - that is separate to tuning, and involves adjustment of the parts.

If the piano is subject to damp conditions (in extreme, over 80%), then fit a dampp chaser. This is a narrow heated tube - about 25 watts of power. This helps to preserve the 'ambient' surroundings of the piano parts to prevent things like rusting/ corrosiion/ keys sticking/ flange centres becoming tight - and generally the action becoming "sluggish".

If your piano is kept in good surroundings, you shouldn't need one. The dampp chaser also can either clip onto the bottom door, or is sometimes suspended with wire near the bottom of the cast frame - between the frame & bottom board. It obviously has a 3-pin moulded plug, and a length of wire attached to it - so access can either be over the bottom board (if there is a gap), or by drilling a small hole in the bottom left hand corner of the soundboard (avoiding the back posts) - snip the plug off, feed wire through, then re-attach plug. Get your tuner to do this job if poss. if you are recommended to have one fitted - but check the hygrometer readings first for a few weeks in the winter months.
AA Piano Tuners UK

sussexpianos
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by sussexpianos »

You will be OK with Richard, he's not a tuner or technician but plays the piano nicely. The pianos are worked on by some good members of the PTA so the regulation will be good. I have bought of him and you should be happy. However I would always recommend viewing the piano before buying as each piano is different. Some Yams are more mellow than others, if you don't play then you wont have anything to compare to so viewing might not be needed. I have sold a number of U1's this year and each one has been slightly different.

Now, for other people viewing this, there are grades in which these Yamaha pianos are priced at, A++ being the highest. The prices of these imported (grey market) pianos have gone up due to the exchange rate. Some dealers are bringing in A- or worse and tarting them up to make better margins. That is why some dealers are selling Yamaha's at £300-£500 more than other dealers because the pianos are in better overall condition. Sometimes you can tell by looking at the condition of the strings, the areas around the strings and the condition of the hammers. Casework can be patchy where spray paint is used.
At the end of the day, I would always recommend buying local to get the local backup service if something goes wrong. Some dealers who rely on the internet say that they have a network of technicians, err no, they phone up a local tuner to you who will be the cheapest and not be too bothered if something goes wrong. If you want to buy a piano off the internet without seeing it then that’s up to you, but bear in mind that cheaper is not always better. The customer decides mostly with price, but sometimes if things go wrong then you'd wish you had spent that extra few hundred and bought local with the shop which gives excellent aftercare and will always help with part exchange.
A piano tuner is the "Unseen artist". www.sussexpianos.co.uk
Members of the PTA & I.M.I.T., MIA and Trading Standards Approved. C&G qualified and N&S Diploma. PTD(Precision Touch Design) Technician.
faizjoks

Post by faizjoks »

Yes, I would you recommend for this piano with a purchase you must be sure that not only gets the best model at the most competitive prices, but rest assured that you receive a service of boring at all stages of your purchase. But he is committed to offering the largest selection of the two pianos new ones that are already in the UK. also offers a Piano as supply through our network of regional distributors Piano.
Sakamoto

Post by Sakamoto »

I have bought two Yamaha pianos from Richard at Richard Lawson Pianos. The first was a refurbished G3 which was about 20 years old and in immaculate condition. I moved to a bigger house and asked if I could upgrade to a larger piano. I was offered a C7, also about 20 years old, which wasn't refurbished but was also in a superb condition. I only had to pay the difference in price and pay for the transport. Richard was extremely helpful and co-operative and used Gary Watts for the transport who is a consummate professional piano remover. I felt very safe in their hands. The C7 cost £12k in total and is a superb instrument. I can't recommend Richard Lawson Pianos enough.