Piano Brands

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

knad

Piano Brands

Post by knad »

Hello,

I am being offered a choice of 4 pianos and I have no idea which one to choose. I know that it's not only the brand that counts but also the condition of the piano but this is a last minute decision and I must take one asap or the person offering is getting rid of them.

I have the choice of :
Altmann (beautiful dark brown glossy finish that sort of looked like tiger print, maybe walnut wood?)
Ebler London (plain dark wood)
E.Krauss Stuttgart (flower inlay on the front)
Shipman London (dark glossy finish)

These are the names indicated on the inside of the lid where the keys are.

They are kept in location that is not climate controlled (an old gym) but when I visited it wasn't too damp or too dry. I tested the keys and none of them are missing or stick or anything else that would make me suspicious of the condition. They even sounded ok but to my untained ear, I'm assuming anything would possibly sound good! :)
The bodies are all ok with no noticeable warpping or cracks in the wood.
Only the E.Krauss had some damage to the lid where people had very obviously been putting their glasses. There were rings marks all over it. And some missing hardware from the front on the body next to where the music sheets would sit. Looks like someone unscrewed a piece from each side.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I know the information I gave is very VERY minimal and I know nothing about pianos.

I have some pictures of the name and of the inside of the piano if that helps. :?
I'm desperate for some advice, I have always wanted to learn to play.

Thank you

Kristina
Gill the Piano

Re: Piano Brands

Post by Gill the Piano »

Deep breath, hand in pocket, part with some cash! Pay a tuner/tech to go and have a look; you're getting a free piano, so with what you're saving, get some expert on-the-spot advice. We can't possibly tell you which to choose without seeing them in the flesh - a good make may still be a bad piano if it's got a split soundboard/wrestplank or cracked frame.
The missing hardware you mention would be where the sconces (candlesticks) were removed.
I play for my own amazement... :piano;
salhford

Post by salhford »

I think it is totally depend on the person. which ones are good, which ones to stay away from?. Some times it is depend on the country. So at that time you should think about it. I have some list of piano brands like Bechstein, Roland, Steinway, Yamaha and Baldwin. With so many piano brands available today, picking one to purchase can be a daunting experience.
Colin Nicholson
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by Colin Nicholson »

.......agree with Gill, get a tuner out. One thing they will test (which is v important) is the torque of the tuning pins - a piano with loose or/and partially collapsed wrest pins will be rendered worthless in a few months/years - they will also check out the action mechanism. The tuner should make a few random checks of the pins with a tuning lever.
AA Piano Tuners UK

Colin Nicholson Dip. Mus. CMIT CLCM PTLLS
Piano tuning & repairs. Full UK restoration service
http://www.aatuners.com
Tuition ~ Accompaniment ~ Weddings
http://www.pianotime1964.com
Member of The Guild of Master Craftsmen