Knight question

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

issimo
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Knight question

Post by issimo »

Hi folks

My mother can't play piano anymore and she needs some cash, so I am trying to sell her Knight upright piano for her. But I know nothing about it other than this:

It's a Knight!
A label on the inside with the Knight logo also says, Registered Design 812773
A stamp on the soundboard says, 68084
A label on the bar that the hammers rest on says 'Schwander'.
It has always lived in the same room since mum got it (I can't remember when that was but it was at least 15 years ago).
The room has always been kept at a pretty steady temperature and has always been dry.
She used to have it regularly tuned/maintained but hasn't had a guy in for three years to my certain knowledge. But it's still nicely in tune (I'm a musician and a recording engineer, so I do recognise out of tune when I hear it!)
It's in very good condition - I can only see one very small mark on one corner, otherwise it's spotless and clean.

Can anyone help me with what sort of price I could reasonably expect to get for it? Are there any clues as to its age? The type of wood veneer?

Any thoughts appreciated.

joseph
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Re: Knight question

Post by joseph »

Looks like you might get around 1000 for it in a private sale, although I don't know. Perhaps a bit more.
Model V
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by Model V »

Hi there,

Whereabouts in the country are you based?
issimo
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by issimo »

Hi Model V, I'm near Portsmouth, Hampshire.
Model V
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by Model V »

Sadly nowhere near me. I know a local school that could do with a similar piano possibly. Anyway, best of luck selling this. It looks nice.

MV.
Last edited by Model V on 26 Aug 2009, 15:52, edited 1 time in total.
Peter Smith@PSPianos
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by Peter Smith@PSPianos »

Hi,
Looks like a knight K10. Sounds like it's in good condition.
I would suggest that you advertise it on this web site under the ' Pianos for sale ' section.
Depending on the condition, in the past, I have paid anything from £300 to £ 1,800 for a knight K10 in mint condition.
When deciding upon an asking price.....( just like selling your house ) ...if you ask too much then nobody will even show interest...so ensure that you are reasonable with your price.
When looking through the ' Pianos for sale ' section you will see that their have been a few Knights on offer and the asking prices.
If you don't want the hassel of advertising I would suggest that you phone some local dealers.
Being a dealer myself, if this piano was to come on the market in my area I would be very keen to purchase.
Good luck.
P.S.
issimo
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by issimo »

Thanks for the replies everyone. It is in very good condition. Mum was the only player, and she's always looked after it. I'm sure it's pretty much as it was when she bought it.

I tried looking up Knight as a manufacturer on this site, to try and find how old the piano is, but Knight isn't listed. Did I see that they were bought out by somebody else in the 1980s?

Thanks again for your help folks.
issimo
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by issimo »

Uh. Sorry guys - this is off topic, but I'm just trying to put an add up on this site, and although I'm logged in, it wants me to log in again, and then doesn't recognise my details when I do.

Do you need to register separately for the ads section?
joseph
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by joseph »

You have to register separately to put an add in. Knight were bought over in the 1980s by Welmar I think, who then became the British Piano Manufacturing Company, who went out of business in 2003. Bluthner Piano Centre in London are the same staff as the old Bluthner shop who were responsible for importing Bluthners but actually owned by BPMC. Now the shop is owned by Bluthners of Leipzig.

The other part of the company has become piano restorations ltd, who specialize in rebuilding grand pianos, including new soundboards and actions.
issimo
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by issimo »

Thanks for the info Joseph, including about registering separaely for the ads. (Odd that!)

I've discovered that the piano is indeed a K10; it's embossed on the frame behind the lower panel, under the keyboard. Nice obvious place to display the model name :0)

I'll get myself registered and post an add.
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

issimo wrote:Thanks for the info Joseph, including about registering separaely for the ads. (Odd that!)
Its a separate database. We have 10 databases to run the site if we linked them all to forum there would be too many calls to that databases and it would lock up

Barrie,
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
issimo
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by issimo »

It's a minor quibble Barrie, but at least from the way I got to it on this site, it wasn't obvious to me that I needed to register separately for the ads. I know I'm guilty of not reading all the text on screen, but I'm also probably not alone in that.

Perhaps a note above the log-in for the ads would be good (or highlighting it, if it's already there :0)

All the best,
Issimo
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

issimo wrote:It's a minor quibble Barrie, but at least from the way I got to it on this site, it wasn't obvious to me that I needed to register separately for the ads. I know I'm guilty of not reading all the text on screen, but I'm also probably not alone in that.

Perhaps a note above the log-in for the ads would be good (or highlighting it, if it's already there :0)

All the best,
Issimo
You have a point but most do come in direct to the piano for sale that part of the site is far more popular than the forum. its more of a problem the other way as the forum gets more visitors from the pianos for sale than the other way round

Barrie
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
issimo
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by issimo »

I'm still trying to find out how old this piano is (as stated above, the serial number is 68084). Does anyone know, or know who I can contact to find out?
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

issimo wrote:I'm still trying to find out how old this piano is (as stated above, the serial number is 68084). Does anyone know, or know who I can contact to find out?
Wrong forum to ask that's a history question! :lol: but.....

68084 is c 1985

Barrie,
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
issimo
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by issimo »

Wrong forum to ask that's a history question! :lol: but.....

68084 is c 1985
Barrie - brilliant! Thanks for that. And sorry this response is so late. :oops: