Haynes Piano Manual

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

Gooday
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Haynes Piano Manual

Post by Gooday »

Just read most of the new Haynes piano manual.

Must admit, bought this expecting it to be a bit of a gimmick but actually seems pretty good to me. I might not be tempted
to give my piano a full tune :wink: , but I now know much more about my piano in general. Will definitely be useful when finally getting around to buying a grand piano.

I may even consider second hand based on the criteria given. Would be interested in what everyone else thinks.

Maybe I bought because I've gradually become really fed up with the tone of my B1, but can't do anything about it until I move house in the distant future :(
PianoGuy
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Re: Haynes Piano Manual

Post by PianoGuy »

As a good read and to further one's knowledge about the piano the Haynes Manual is really not bad, although I would be very cautious about anybody using one to service a piano. Especially one owned by somebody else.

Piano technicians are not born, they are educated, and that takes a lot of tuition and more than that, a lot of practice.
PG

The opinion above is purely that of PianoGuy and is simply the opinion of one person ....

If you're buying a piano, try as many as you can and buy the one you like, not a similar one of the same type.
Floss
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by Floss »

I've not read the manual, but I, too, would be very wary of doing anything but very basic things, and I am by nature fairly adventurous in terms of having a go at things technical (for instance, when we moved here 16 years ago we didn't know a tuner in the area, and I did tune our own Dalmaine myself for about a year and a half, which was reasonably successful, although because I wasn't trained it took me about four hours each time).

To me, there's too much danger of doing serious damage if one hasn't had at least some practical (as opposed to book based) training.
getintune

Post by getintune »

Hi there Floss Thanks for taking the trouble to comment on the Manual. Well done on tuning your own piano, the Dalmaine. I assure you 4 hours isn't bad for an amateur! And if you kept doing it, you would get faster very rapdidly. You can speed up very quickly by just thinking about the order you do things in. But it takes an hour and a quarter for an experienced professional even on a good piano that is tuned regularly.

Do read the book: Your comments on it will be much better informed and you will not be afraid to tackle minor problems. My Haynes Manual on the MGB helped me get the engine out and to a rebuilder. But I got my mechanic to overhaul the brakes! It's just a matter of what you are comfortable with. John Bishop
Model V
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by Model V »

I was given this for a birthday present and read it cover to cover virtually. Very interesting and enjoyable. In some ways I am even more in awe of technicians than I was before because there's so much involved. I really wouldn't contemplate tuning my own pianos even having read the book, although troubleshooting/nipping up a rogue note are at least possibilities now.

Excellent book imo and an insight into a great art form.

MV
getintune

Post by getintune »

Hi model V
Thanks for your most flattering comments. I wonder if you would care to post them on my brand new blog?

http://haynespianomanual.blogspot.com/

I am recording any errors there and incorporating any helpful suggestions for the next edition.
Thanks
John Bishop