Danemann Grand Scrapage

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

David Lock Pianos

Danemann Grand Scrapage

Post by David Lock Pianos »

This is a real long shot.

An appeal to my collegues.

Has anyone ever scrapped a 6 ft 8ins school Danemann grand. If you are in the trade, you will know exactly the model I am talking about.
They are in secondry schools everywhere. Usually with a mahogany case covered in graffiti, chewing gum etc, usually with lots of broken strings where the music teacher has tried his hand at the art of piano tuning.
Anyway, I am in need of a lyre bolt, a fall plate and a Danemann pattern grand lock. (Even just the link section would do). Have obviously tried the buying new route but cant seem to get anything that fits. I am trying to bring a 1978 model back to new condition which has been trashed for thirty years in a secondery school. Saved it from a the skip ! Going to be a nice piano one day.
Cany you help?
Bob Pierce
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Re: Danemann Grand Scrapage

Post by Bob Pierce »

Try a box of matches Dave!
markymark
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by markymark »

Aww, come on!

That's a bit extreme isn't it?
David B
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by David B »

Having had a Danemann concert grand rebuilt recently, I can assure you that when properly done, and with the finest new components (such as EKS bass strings), they are supurb pianos.

Built like tanks though :shock:
David Lock Pianos

Ok here comes the rant !

Piano snobs don't really understand Danemanns. Piano tuners do.
Yes there were fluctuations in build quality just as there were with all the great and glorious piano makers. Most tuners out on the road would much rather be confronted on a Monday morning with a nice Danemann 118 oak school upright than a Bechstein Model A. It's true! All that falsness is enough to put any tooner off their lunchtime sandwich. Not that I am slagging off Bechsteins of course.

Anyway still struggling to find bits some parts for this particular rebuild. Any ideas greatfully received. Am still considering the box of matches option Bob, still a possibility. How is the rare one off four legged Pleyel Grand doing (The one I found a copy the sales brochure for and the photo of another rare 'one off ' Pleyel grand taken in a French ladies boudoir) Am up for a pint on Sunday night if you are.
sussexpianos
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by sussexpianos »

I must agree with Dave here, the school Danemann Oak uprights were built very well. I have schools on my tuning round who have them, and they are still going well. Where as the new pianos hardly coupe with the abuse. Its a shame they don't make them.
One thing is sure, the strings break very easy up in the top treble, maybe designed with a lot of tension to get that bright tone. Good luck with the search, or you might need to get an engineering company make them for you?
Is this a personal mission then Dave? :o try some of these links, might help.

http://www.pianoteile-baumgaertel.de/?p ... f2h7de8cht

http://www.pianoteile-baumgaertel.de/?p ... f2h7de8cht
A piano tuner is the "Unseen artist". www.sussexpianos.co.uk
Members of the PTA & I.M.I.T., MIA and Trading Standards Approved. C&G qualified and N&S Diploma. PTD(Precision Touch Design) Technician.
D.J.Smith
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by D.J.Smith »

There's what looks like a big Danemann for sale on ebay right now for £50. Item no. 170344131997. Can't be sure, because the vendor doesn't give any details, but must be worth your checking it out.
David Lock Pianos

Thanks D.J Smith for pointing out the Danemann grand. Just had a look, Yes it is exactly the same model as the one I need parts for. How frustrating, havn't got room for a second one and this ebay one looks far to good to scrap. I can say from personal experience that anyone who buys this piano will have got themselves a lot of very nice piano for very litle money. Thanks also to John for the link to B&K Baumgartel. Just been chating to Steinway Pete who says they are cool to deal with.
sussexpianos
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by sussexpianos »

Dave, I use Baumgartel a lot, got a much bigger range of stuff. Soundboard shims are very cheap.
Members of the PTA & I.M.I.T., MIA and Trading Standards Approved. C&G qualified and N&S Diploma. PTD(Precision Touch Design) Technician.
David Lock Pianos

Bob Pierce wrote:Try a box of matches Dave!
Just realised that the Bob Pierce I thought you were was my wifes stepfather. So I apologise for the reply as the whole Pleyel grand and beer thing wont mean anything. Are you the American chap that is big in piano decals and serial numbers who puts them in books for us piano tuners to buy?
Bob Pierce
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by Bob Pierce »

No problem Dave.
sussexpianos
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by sussexpianos »

I have been reading about Danemann pianos in Dr Alastair Laurence book "Five London Piano Makers". It was interesting to note that Danemann grands were very highly regarded and if it wasn't for their lack of artist support, unlike Steinway, a lot more of their grands would be on concert stages.
Colin Nicholson
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by Colin Nicholson »

Hi there

I call upon my retired mech. engineer, Harold, to make me special screws/ bolts etc for pianos - he is superb and very reasonably priced. He has made me various grub screws (for German rocker capstans), a hand-turned lyre-stay screw for a Schiedmayer grand (with a huge thread), and allsorts of pressure bar screws, set-off screws (long ones) etc. He mainly builds locomotives - the proper steam ones! He also makes his own tap & dye sets if the screw pitch is unknown & he does reverse thread screws aswell - anything.

Let me know, and if you want to send a drawing - no probs. He can't give a price until he actually sees it or a drawing - if you are interested? send me an email is best....

Colin
AA Piano Tuners UK

Colin Nicholson Dip. Mus. CMIT CLCM PTLLS
Piano tuning & repairs. Full UK restoration service
http://www.aatuners.com
Tuition ~ Accompaniment ~ Weddings
http://www.pianotime1964.com
Member of The Guild of Master Craftsmen
joseph
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by joseph »

I've played some Danemanns and they've all been good pianos. They are solid and have a good tone, nice response. We built some excellent pianos in the UK at one time and its sad that its all stopped. I know the price would have to be high but we had some pretty s**t hot instruments being made at one time. Of course, Yamaha and Kawai, Brodmann, Wendl etc, build some pretty S**T hot instruments for a fraction of what we could, so we'd have to be competing with the big german makers.