Digital Harpsichord.....

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

dan_z

Digital Harpsichord.....

Post by dan_z »

Some people like harpsichords and others dont.... But to follow on from the previous defunct thread... I can see that for continuo work a digital might be ok.... even convenient at times. But as far as I know there is no digital instrument that feels like a hpd to play. I was at a concert at a university that had recently acquired a rather nice hpd, and a student was playing the continuo for the Bach E violin concerto. However, the poor girl struggled to hit the notes on time. She had clearly done most of her practice on a piano and had not had time to adapt to the very different touch of a hpd. A good hpd is nice to play but they can be very uneven. Best one I ever played was a fairly original Schudi or (tschudi) in good playing condition. Sounded wonderful.

Danz
Stuart
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Re: Digital Harpsichord.....

Post by Stuart »

Oh dear, I got into trouble in the last thread on this subject and may also draw some flak with my reply to the prepping new pianos thread, but ............ Yes, the touch of a harpsichord is very different from that of a piano. It took me years to adjust from the piano and then there was another period of adjustment so that I could move easily from one instrument to the other. A digital instrument with a harpsichord 'stop' will not have the touch of a harpsichord - at least I have never played one which had. It may (should) have the piano touch disabled (that provides louder/softer tone according to the weight of playing). It should give a pleasant approximation of the sound of a harpsichord. (I have played a digital instrument with a harpsichord stop in public as a continuo player when no instrument has been available. It serves, but that's all I can say.)
The touch of a well-regulated harpsichord is not uneven: it varies across the spectrum in the power needed to pluck as the quills vary in length: thicker and a longer overhang in the bass, but the transition is very gradual. It will also change depending upon how many ranks of strings are in action. Unlike a piano, there is a distinct point at which the pressure on the key results in the quill plucking the string(s): you are literally in touch with the string until that point. A harpsichord will also provide subtle changes in volume according to the speed of key depression.
There is great satisfaction in playing a harpsichord: in precision of phrasing, articulation, line, the contrapuntal strands. There is great satisfaction in playing the piano: the singing quality, power of emotional expression.
Vive la difference.