Ibach

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

cyfeilydd

Ibach

Post by cyfeilydd »

I'm a pretty rough pianist, once reached grade 7 but now play a bit for my own pleasure, or occasionally accompany my kids or friends. My 1884 bluthner upright is very much showing its age and I'm told really needs a comprehensive overhaul. Expensive, although its resale value is nil. I have moved and have a bit more space and would quite like to indulge myself with a grand, say 6'. my skill and level of usage doesn't justify spending a lot. I have been offered a modern Ibach for £5k (still quite a lot of money to my mind). Does anyone have any experience of this piano? should I try to find something else?
any advice gratefully received
Thanks
Openwood
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Re: Ibach

Post by Openwood »

Five thousand for a good secondhand 6-footer sounds good value to me. You need to get it inspected by a tuner though - it could be fab, but equally it could be shite. It's impossible to know without a professional inspection. It will probably cost you about the same as a tuning visit to get someone out to look at it (say around £50) but it's worth every penny if it stops you buying a dud.

If 5k is about your limit you ought to be able to find something - probably an older grand from a mid-range manufacturer. But then again, in these bonkers financial days you might also find a peach; definitely worth shopping around.

Ibach sounds Welsh and so does your username, so maybe it's a match made in heaven, isn't it!
"Each day grow older, and learn something new."
Solon (c. 630 - c. 500 B.C.), Greek Statesman and Reformer
joseph
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by joseph »

sounds an ok price if the piano is in good nick. dunno what you can get on the s/h market for 5k.
cyfeilydd

Post by cyfeilydd »

Ok so it's worth considering - but I get the impression that the modern pianos from this manufacturer are not well known, quality/durability might be an issue? I can't find anything on the internet or anyone who has played a modern (mid 90s) Ibach grand. I feel a bit dubious about it now! I'll keep looking.
andyaeola
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by andyaeola »

I tested a new Ibach vertical when I was looking about 5 years ago in Peter (edit)Salisbury(?) store (now gone) and it was one of the nicest sounding uprights I tried along with Bechstein & Bluthner.
Also played on a medium sized Ibach grand in Jaques Samuel (about two years ago?) that was I think under 10 years old (and already sold) and apart from the Fazioli's, it was my favourite sounding piano in the store. Lovely wood finish on it too.

Ibach stopped production, anyone know if they'll be starting up again?
benny958

Post by benny958 »

Hi
Did you ever buy the Ibach Grand? If so, how has it been?
Please let me know as I'm looking at some options.
Regards
samuelpayne96

Post by samuelpayne96 »

I just purchased a 1910 - 1920 black Ibach. I played it in the store just looking not planning on buying anything and it was honestly the best piano I have ever played on. It has a beautiful tone. I got it for a steal to - 1000. If anyone is thinking on buying one def. go for it. I do recommend going playing it first though as it may have been neglected and sound awful as any piano would sound, if not looked after properly.
benny958 wrote:Hi
Did you ever buy the Ibach Grand? If so, how has it been?
Please let me know as I'm looking at some options.
Regards
Bob Pierce
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by Bob Pierce »

They were being made in China by the same people that make W&L, and I understand that they are currently between builders.