what make do you recommend ?

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

gxero

what make do you recommend ?

Post by gxero »

For grand pianos...........what make do you recommend ? on quality...why?
a part from
Besendorfer
Steinway / boston
Bechstein

please..... not Yamaha......

if the budget/ upper limit is around £12500 what would you get? _(new/used)
PianoGuy
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Re: what make do you recommend ?

Post by PianoGuy »

Er....

Yamaha.
PG

The opinion above is purely that of PianoGuy and is simply the opinion of one person ....

If you're buying a piano, try as many as you can and buy the one you like, not a similar one of the same type.
Openwood
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by Openwood »

Me too. Soz.
"Each day grow older, and learn something new."
Solon (c. 630 - c. 500 B.C.), Greek Statesman and Reformer
Gill the Piano

Post by Gill the Piano »

You could look at the Kawai range and see if you like them ,I suppose...but i think if it were my money, it'd be a Yam. Sorry!
I play for my own amazement... :piano;
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

You are restricted at that price range depending on size you could look at Irmler or VOGEL grands fore a more softer sound. Second-hand there is a Bluthner Model 10 for £13,995 at Bluthners and 4'11" for 12K

But as the Yanks would say you do get more bang for you buck with Yam but they are not to everyone's liking. I love them to work on, but not that impressed with the overall sound out of the box. Take them down a few levels leaving the treble a tad brighter that the bass than you would on say a Bluthner and they are sweet. quite a lot are surprised on how worm and rich the bass can be when voiced down you have to watch the treble as it is very unforgiving and mushy if taken down too much

Barrie,
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
Openwood
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by Openwood »

Yeah, I think good preparation is the key. I found my Yam C3 too bright for the room it's in, but since it's been thoroughly voiced it's really beautiful. Without some professional TLC they are too bright for me. They're such good value for money, given that the tone is easily modified to suit your requirements.
genaa
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by genaa »

The Kawai RX2 gets some very nice reviews in various places and might be something to consider.... Not sure whether you could pick one up for your budget limit though - but well worth looking at that and the larger RX3 in secondhand listings too perhaps?
Tenor1
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by Tenor1 »

Brodmann 187, I have come across a couple of these recently and have been very impressed, the build and tonal qualities are excellent - one of the best Chinese makers and great value for money.Oh 8-10k new
Last edited by Tenor1 on 21 Jan 2009, 21:02, edited 2 times in total.
Openwood
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by Openwood »

Brodmann 182
I've heard good things about them but never seen one in a showroom; who retails them in the UK?
joseph
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by joseph »

Its a 187 not a 182. I bought my Brodmann (187) from the Edinburgh Piano Company in, well, Edinburgh surprisingly enough.

I tried it in the showroom and loved the sound, and when the piano was delivered a technician came up to set the action up, he took it apart and made sure the capstans were smooth and all that stuff, and it plays like a dream. Incidentally this service was included in the purchase price.

It is a different sounding piano to a Yamaha, not as bright perhaps, a little rounder. Really its personal taste whether you go for a Yamaha or a Brodmann, perhaps the Yamaha has the edge in the finish and fit, but I really love the Brodmann piano. I chose it not just because it was cheaper (so it was paid off in less time), although yes, that was a big bonus, but because I preferred it over the C3 or the Boston. I was actually on the brink of buying a Boston when I found the Brodmann. The monthly payment would have been the same except over a longer period of time.

Basically if you are determined not to go for a Yamaha, have a look at one of these. There are many other good makes out there too, Kawai IMHO are particularly good now, and some Petrofs are beautiful.

I wouldn't say no to a Yamaha because some of them can be really beautiful pianos, although if I was to buy one, I'd LOVE to buy an S6, but I just ain't got the shekels! or the space.... :-(
Tenor1
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by Tenor1 »

Openwood you can buy direct from Colin Taylor at Brodmann UK I am in Yorkshire and Besbrode have a good deal on (Ithink!)
Openwood wrote:
Brodmann 182
I've heard good things about them but never seen one in a showroom; who retails them in the UK?
PianoGuy
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by PianoGuy »

Tenor1 wrote:Openwood you can buy direct from Colin Taylor at Brodmann UK I am in Yorkshire and Besbrode have a good deal on (Ithink!)
Openwood wrote:
Brodmann 182

Colin Taylor is no longer trading I'm afraid.

There is no UK Brodmann importer.
PG

The opinion above is purely that of PianoGuy and is simply the opinion of one person ....

If you're buying a piano, try as many as you can and buy the one you like, not a similar one of the same type.
Openwood
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by Openwood »

you can buy direct from Colin Taylor at Brodmann UK I am in Yorkshire and Besbrode have a good deal on (Ithink!)
I might be around Yorkshire-way over half-term, if so I'll pop in and try one. I bought a C3 a while back so I won't be buying anything new for a while, but I'd like to test drive a Brodmann out of interest. I'll be really pissed-off if I like it better than my Yam - could have saved a few thousand there!
PianoGuy
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by PianoGuy »

I'd be ever so wary about buying a make with no manufacturer's warranty from a dealership at the other end of the world. No official importer means no warranty except that which may be offered to you by the dealer, and if it's a major fault the dealer will have no redress with a foreign manufacturer.
PG

Tenor1
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by Tenor1 »

Brodmann website lists several UK dealers, and there is no mention of Colin Taylor not trading.
PianoGuy
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by PianoGuy »

Tenor1 wrote:Brodmann website lists several UK dealers, and there is no mention of Colin Taylor not trading.

Well maybe the sites have been paid for and there's no burning desire on Mr Taylor's part to take them offline, although the old .co.uk site no longer exists and has now been rediricted to the .com one, indicating that the funding may be coming from Austria alone.

Dealers have remaining stock and paid for it so it's common courtesy to list where it can be bought. Possibly Brodmann Austria have requested that the info stays online awaiting a purchase by a new UK distributor? In either case I would reckon the safest procedure would be to see if the company is taken over and liability for existing stock is admitted by any new company before shelling out thousands on a piano with currently no UK distributor, sepecially at a remote dealership.

The product is superb so I for one hope that either Colin can resolve any issues and carry on or if that's impossible, a new UK importer found.

I've just noticed that Brodmann have taken on the orphaned loudspeaker manufacturing dept of Bösendorfer. Never a good seller, one can only speculate on how it will perform in a financial downturn with a relatively unknown name stuck on the baffle where once it read Bösendorfer......... Let's hope they're now cheaper.
PG

Tenor1
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by Tenor1 »

Apologies Pianoguy - I am not as informed as you.

Hope they find a new distributer.
A440
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by A440 »

There's always the Kemble 173 grand - a softly spoken Yamaha. It is a little over-budget, but well worth it.However, February is also British Piano Month, so there are some special deals available. If you are in Yorkshire, you could play one in Headingley pianos. www.headingley-pianos.co.uk They are a Kemble Centre of Excellence, so you get Kemble's 10 year guarantee.
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

A440 wrote:There's always the Kemble 173 grand - a softly spoken Yamaha. It is a little over-budget, but well worth it.However, February is also British Piano Month, so there are some special deals available. If you are in Yorkshire, you could play one in Headingley pianos. http://www.headingley-pianos.co.uk They are a Kemble Centre of Excellence, so you get Kemble's 10 year guarantee.

Do they have one of the grands on display

Barrie,
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
A440
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by A440 »

Yes, set up and ready to play. There's also the Irmler which is under-budget in the same price bracket.
joseph
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by joseph »

The Kemble grand is a pretty nice piano. Does it really qualify as a British piano? I suppose it must be finished in the UK?

OK I have some info on Brodmann, I have one payment left to make on my Brodmann so I was on the phone to the Edinburgh Piano Company yesterday to make an arrangement about it (coz its more than the DD payment, but 2 DD payments would be too much.... complex...)

AAAAAAAANYWAY. . . . . .

I asked him about the liquidation thingy and he said that as most of the dealers were importing directly from Vienna, it made no sense to bring the pianos into the warehouse in the south east, and then ship them up from there. So, now, the pianos are being sent directly to the dealers in the crates.

He also reminded me to stop the monthly direct debit payment at the bank.... 'unless you want to put it towards a new Bosendorfer...' he added.... not this year! :D