STECK (GOTHA) 6' 8" GRAND

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

Tenor1
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

STECK (GOTHA) 6' 8" GRAND

Post by Tenor1 »

I have just bought a Steck 6' 8" grand it is NOT a converted pianola which i believe to be 1920's it is a wonderful instrument very well restored, i am a pro classical singer and this piano is the culmination of a 2 year search, a number of good pro pianists have played it and have been very impressed and suprised by the quaility, compaired with the Bechs etc I have tried this piano is streets a head.

I have only come across Steck uprights (good quality) and baby grands but this is the only 6'8" I have ever seen. Does the forum know anything about this model or the company.

Best wishes
Last edited by Tenor1 on 02 Feb 2009, 23:30, edited 5 times in total.
Pianomate
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by Pianomate »

George Steck were quality, solidly made American instruments. During the 20s and 30s, they were part of the Aeolian Company and their main line was player pianos but some fine grands were made. They had a factory at Hayes and another in New York at the time. I think that the grands were made in the New York factory but some forum members may correct me.

Have a look here - all explained:

http://www.mmdigest.com/Archives/Digest ... 22.04.html
Tenor1
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Re: STECK 6' 8" GRAND

Post by Tenor1 »

I have discovewred that it is a Gotha (German) Steck