Sostenuto pedal or Practice pedal?

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

Moonlight
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Sostenuto pedal or Practice pedal?

Post by Moonlight »

Hi

What pedal is more useful to have on a piano? I have my eye on the Yamaha Radius RD2 ( when I can finaly afford it ) but the middle pedal is a pratice pedal or muffler pedal. Would I regret not having a sostenuto pedel later, I'm a beginner so have never needed to use the sost pedel.

Thanks!
David B
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by David B »

Trust me, you will not need a sostenuto pedal 8)

Most pianos don't have them, so even if you did manage to master the wretched thing, it'll be to no avail when you have to play on another piano.
Grenache
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by Grenache »

I've got neither! I have a Yamaha with the silent option, and the middle pedal moves the shank stopper to prevent the hammers hitting the strings. If you engage that then forget to switch on the electronics, it's a bit like Joseph Cooper on Face the Music. At least you could tell what he was playing, unlike my attempts!
sirprize
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by sirprize »

The sostenuto option is a very nice resource to have - but it needs a lot of practice to get the most out of it, particularly when combined with the normal sustain pedal. Apart from the obvious repertoire of the late romantics & moderns needing it I've often thought Bach and the other contrapuntalists benefit from it
vernon

Post by vernon »

When is someone going to invent a "soft" peadl that works?
Openwood
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by Openwood »

Agreed. Soft pedals on uprights are generally a waste of good brass.

And another thing: are 'celeste'/practice pedals REALLY worth the effort? I've tried to use them in the past but the tone is SO muffled and the dynamic range SO surpressed that I found it completely frustrating after just a few sessions. I suppose you could argue that a practice pedal is just there to help with fingering practice (stop sniggering at the back) and overall familiarity with the music, but losing the ability to shape phrases dynamically is a hell of a price to pay. I reckon a silent function beats the crap out of a practice pedal any day of the week. And to prove it I propose we organise a naked mud-wrestling match between Cameron Diaz and Jennifer Lopez.
"Each day grow older, and learn something new."
Solon (c. 630 - c. 500 B.C.), Greek Statesman and Reformer
crispin
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by crispin »

I reckon a silent function beats the crap out of a practice pedal any day of the week. And to prove it I propose we organise a naked mud-wrestling match between Cameron Diaz and Jennifer Lopez.
Suddenly this topic is becoming more interesting ... I support the practice pedal - but I am willing to be proved wrong - when is this match
NewAge
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by NewAge »

Openwood wrote:
.....I propose we organise a naked mud-wrestling match between Cameron Diaz and Jennifer Lopez.
Openwood:
Great posts. Keep ‘em coming! But eh, for added interest why not make that a verbal mud wrestling contest between Cameron Diaz, Jennifer Lopez, and Ma Cecilia de Mesa.........
:lol:
I was playing the piano in a zoo, when the elephant burst into tears. I said, "Don't you recognize the tune?" He replied, "No, I recognize the ivories!"
joseph
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by joseph »

i hardly ever use the sostenuto pedal, i used it once last year in a modern piece. but thats all.

yeah, sometimes bach can benefit from it, but rarely. IMHO of course, and i hear convincing performances from either camp.
Moonlight
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by Moonlight »

Ok, thanks for the replies!

I suppose a pratice pedal it is then, should come in handy and stop driving the neighbour, and my parents mad. I have a sostenuto pedal on my digital piano so if I ever need it; its there. :wink:
Model V
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by Model V »

joseph wrote:i hardly ever use the sostenuto pedal, i used it once last year in a modern piece. but thats all.

yeah, sometimes bach can benefit from it, but rarely. IMHO of course, and i hear convincing performances from either camp.

Nice for the last few bars of the middle movement of the Ravel Sontatine. :D
joseph
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by joseph »

i haven't played the ravel sonatine. i'd probably sound like a truck driver on it LOL!
Model V
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by Model V »

joseph wrote:i haven't played the ravel sonatine. i'd probably sound like a truck driver on it LOL!
Give it a go. I think you're a professional performer from your previous posts so you wouldn't have trouble with it. Much easier technically than Gaspard.

Cheers.

MV.
Descombes
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by Descombes »

Model V wrote:

Nice for the last few bars of the middle movement of the Ravel Sonatine. :D
That's an interesting thought! I played that movement years ago for an LTCL; and I've had a couple of pupils recently who learnt it. (Wasn't it on the Grade 8 syllabus last year?) Some judicious half-pedalling and generally playing around with the sustaining pedal always seems to work OK, but I'll certainly try it with the middle pedal!
joseph
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by joseph »

Model V wrote:
joseph wrote:i haven't played the ravel sonatine. i'd probably sound like a truck driver on it LOL!
Give it a go. I think you're a professional performer from your previous posts so you wouldn't have trouble with it. Much easier technically than Gaspard.

Cheers.

MV.
Ok I'll try! I played jeux d'eau on tour this year and i used jeu perle in order to keep the touch light. it worked really well. I love Ravel but OMG its pretty hard stuff to pull off!
Openwood
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by Openwood »

jeu perle
Joseph, could you explain this term? I've heard of it before now but I've never quite understood what it means.
"Each day grow older, and learn something new."
Solon (c. 630 - c. 500 B.C.), Greek Statesman and Reformer
joseph
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by joseph »

basically, its a type of touch where you play with the hand hanging from the wrist, the fingers almost fully extended but totally relaxed. The arms and shoulders must be totally relaxed too. The key must only be pressed half way down, just enough for them to sound. This kind of touch must be practised slowly so that every note is equal, then you can start playing around with dynamics.