Ivorite

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

MARB
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Ivorite

Post by MARB »

Does anyone have any experience of Ivorite finish on keys? Pros or cons? Do they age well or do they need to be treated in any way?
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

You have to watch what you clean them with any alcohol or spirit based products is as no no as the fast evaporation dry's out the Ivorite and cracks start to appear

Barrie,
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
johnT
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by johnT »

I've found using baby wipes to clean modern keytops ok. But older keytops, which I thought were plastic, lose there shine. Any ideas how to get the shine back?
Brumtuner
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by Brumtuner »

Brasso.
johnT
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by johnT »

Thanks very much for the tip, I'll try it out tomorrow.
Brumtuner
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by Brumtuner »

Any good?
johnT
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by johnT »

Yes. worked even better than a leading brand of key cleaner. Thanks again.
Brumtuner
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by Brumtuner »

Pleasure.
Pianomate
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Ivorite

Post by Pianomate »

John T - You will have to cut back to undamaged material - You could try Tripoli powder or Rottenstone powder (the light coloured version). Very safe on plastics. If you want a brilliant shine, then Vonax and a polishing mop but be careful not to apply too much pressure and melt the surface.

To everyone else, I would also use the above method. I would avoid using any solvent or oli based cleaners such as Brasso, T-Cut etc as the solvent may spoil the finish. Always use dry (powder) polishes. I know of someone near here who used T-Cut on a piano keyboard only to find a year later that the surface of the keys had degraded and it cost them about £300 to have all the keys fitted with new slips!

Ivorite is a celluloid product, created from nitrocellulose and camphor, with fillers added such as ground chalk and limestone. It is made with a "grain" effect to resemble ivory. Anyone who remembers the old cutlery sets with the knives with the Ivorite handles will no doubt have seen what happens to them after they have been left too long in hot water or put in the dishwasher!

Celluloid is the first thermoplastic. It was invented in 1856 and first widely produced in 1870 and rapidly found its way onto piano keyboards. It is,however unstable and can decompose. It is also flammable and so celluloid has inhibitors added. (Nitrocellulose is, of course a propellant for ammunition).

Much depended on the original quality of manufacture, and the conditions it was kept in. Excess exposure to sunlight and moisture causes it to degrade and the surface to deteriorate. Fumes from open coal fires which everyone had, contain acid fumes including sulphur dioxide which caused mischief to many materials. Nicotine can stain many plastics, and grubby fingers can cause stains.

However, Modern celluloid is of a much higher quality and has stabilisers added. It looks the part on keyboards but it is still not as durable as acrylic.
vernon

Post by vernon »

When we were kids, we got old celluloid key tops from dad, wrapped them in newspaper and lit them. The trick is not to let them burn but to blow out the flame so it just fumes. They make excellent smoke screens.

I thought I would share that bit of folk lore.
NewAge
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by NewAge »

vernon wrote:When we were kids, we got old celluloid key tops from dad, wrapped them in newspaper and lit them. The trick is not to let them burn but to blow out the flame so it just fumes. They make excellent smoke screens.
Setting fire to celluloid key tops, smoke, fumes - don't tell me you ended up like this......... :D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PzT6w09J0Pk
I was playing the piano in a zoo, when the elephant burst into tears. I said, "Don't you recognize the tune?" He replied, "No, I recognize the ivories!"
MARB
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Ivorite

Post by MARB »

Has anyone heard of a dealer sanding down ivorite keys on a brand new piano as part of the preparation prior to sale? Is this usual practice?
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Ivorite

Post by Barrie Heaton »

MARB wrote:Has anyone heard of a dealer sanding down ivorite keys on a brand new piano as part of the preparation prior to sale? Is this usual practice?
When I am preping new pianos I paper the sides of the keys as they are often ruff and on some I have buffed the tops as they have had bad spots

Barrie,
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
vernon

Post by vernon »

not in the piano trade I fear