new arrival almost here now....

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

genaa
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

new arrival almost here now....

Post by genaa »

Hi Folks,

Went to see my new piano at the dealers last week - only 2 more sleeps until he/she comes to live with me :)

Thought you might like a quick pic!

NewAge
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by NewAge »

Hi Genaa,
A marvelous choice!
This piano knocks most baby and many larger grands for a six.
Congratulations, this will surely be an exciting week for you. :D
I was playing the piano in a zoo, when the elephant burst into tears. I said, "Don't you recognize the tune?" He replied, "No, I recognize the ivories!"
PBruce

nice....

Post by PBruce »

You should be playing it now I presume?? :)

Nice...
My first Baby Grand Piano site! :D
genaa
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by genaa »

arrives tomorrow - can hardly wait!
genaa
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by genaa »

a few more pics and descriptions of the new piano are posted here:

http://www.pianoworld.com/ubb/ubb/ultim ... 24587.html

I put these up as the Sauter pianos seem relatively unknown and I thought it would be useful for those interested to get a better idea of build quality etc. This is a Masterclass 130, 130cm upright.

the proof of the pudding is, of course, in the playing and so I hope to be able to post a recording sample shortly once my friend has time to come over with mics etc.

General terms, the action is extremely responsive and seems very well regulated, the tuning needs a little touch up but that is to be expected given it has moved country and county twice in last couple of weeks! The tone is clear and singing with tremendous sustain, the treble sparkles without being bright and it has a thumping bass when required and is extremely even across the registers. It sounds like a big piano, albeit extremely controllable between ppp and fff (despite my rusty and in any case not exactly accomplished playing!).

The quality/price balance seems remarkable. Sure, it won't perhaps have the resale ease of a Bechstein, Bosie or Bluthner, but by the same token it appears to pack every bit as much 'piano' as a Concert 8, Bosie 130 or Model B for less than half the price of the first 2, both in terms of build quality and 'character'. For those wanting something perhaps a little different I can wholeheartedly recommend it.

A big 'thumbs-up' for the John Austin stool as well - it's a belter :)
Nutroast
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by Nutroast »

I'm no expert, but I must say it looks beautiful! Congratulations! I'm sure you'll have many happy hours together.

Jan
sussexpianos
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by sussexpianos »

im going round the Sauter factory later this month. Should be interesting.
genaa
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by genaa »

would love to hear your feedback on the Sauter factory. I was going to visit prior to ordering my piano but time and money constraints got in the way sadly. I do hope to visit in future though.
gilles

Post by gilles »

genaa wrote:a

I put these up as the Sauter pianos seem relatively unknown
I am quite surprised Sauter should be "relatively unknown". Here, in France (so please apologize if I don't write a good english), it is seen as a brand of "second" level, afater the beeg three : very goog pianos, at the same level as the schimmel, the Seiler, etc. Piano world or pianomajeur.net make it very clear.

You are lucky, Genaa : enjoy playing ! :)
Openwood
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by Openwood »

I'm not an upright enthusiast generally but even I have to admit that is a beautiful-looking piano. If it sounds as good as it looks you must be over the moon!
"Each day grow older, and learn something new."
Solon (c. 630 - c. 500 B.C.), Greek Statesman and Reformer
sussexpianos
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by sussexpianos »

went round the Sauter factory on Wednesday and I must admit I was very impressed. There is a lot of work which is done by hand and the materials are of very high quality.There was a grand there, bloody huge with case rims the thickness of my leg! weighed about 500kg.
I can see why Larry Fine puts Sauter in the same group as Grotrian and Forster, a group above Steinway ( New York) but just below Bosendorfer and Steinway (Hamburg).
A piano for life me thinks.
genaa
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by genaa »

hehe to paraphrase the loony gun-toting lobby...you can take my Sauter "from my cold, dead hands!" and not a second before :)

am hoping to get some recordings done shortly - a friend has some decent kit
crispin
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by crispin »

Dear Genaa

Many good wishes for many hours of enjoyment with your very good looking piano... but where are the recordings? :D
Recently I have started to investigate how to make recordings and find that pulling the piano away from the wall and pointing the microphones towards the back of the sounding board gave the most full sound (at least the most harmonics when a FFT analysis of the note was made). When you eventually record - could you also add a note on how you made the recording.
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

sussexpianos wrote:went round the Sauter factory on Wednesday and I must admit I was very impressed. There is a lot of work which is done by hand and the materials are of very high quality.There was a grand there, bloody huge with case rims the thickness of my leg! weighed about 500kg.
I can see why Larry Fine puts Sauter in the same group as Grotrian and Forster, a group above Steinway ( New York) but just below Bosendorfer and Steinway (Hamburg).
A piano for life me thinks.
Are you going to stock them then

Barrie,
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
genaa
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by genaa »

Crispin,

Will hopefully post some recordings soon - a friend of mine from the local pub is a music tech student and has reasonable experience of recording piano and other acoustic instruments - I believe he is in the process of purchasing some new kit so will get him around when possible and ask him to give relevant details on recording technique etc :)
sussexpianos
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by sussexpianos »

Barrie,
I dont know. I would like some good brands in the showroom. Hassler by Bluthner or Sauter are on my list of possibilities :)