Steinmann Pianos?

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

mike.

Steinmann Pianos?

Post by mike. »

hi. First post, apologies for the questions..

Having not played for about 20 years, I've been given a piano for my birthday (37th!) and we went shopping for one today. Budget about 2 grand (ish). We tried some used yamahas and they felt absolutely great, then we spotted an ex-demo Steinmann which had the same 'silent piano' feature as the too-expensive yamahas but was within budget. It's a 118. The Silent ability would be handy so I can practice early mornings without waking the Mrs, it's going to be right below the bedroom and even with the practice pedal down, I think a normal piano will be too loud.

There's almost nothing about them that I can find on the web and searching on here didnt find much more. Does anyone know anything about them? Would I be better going for a better known brand?

many thanks for any help
Mike.
genaa
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by genaa »

Is it a Wilh. Steinmann? If so, a google search and search of these forums should bring up a fair bit of info on this manufacturer.
mike.

Post by mike. »

genaa wrote:Is it a Wilh. Steinmann? If so, a google search and search of these forums should bring up a fair bit of info on this manufacturer.
yes, it's one of them. Thanks for clarifying, adding the wilh. has uncovered quite a lot more.. Might be giving it a miss!
mdw
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by mdw »

You can always add the silent system on later if it blows your buget now. About £775 to £875 should cover it.
mike.

Post by mike. »

mdw wrote:You can always add the silent system on later if it blows your buget now. About £775 to £875 should cover it.
really? To anything? That would be excellent...
mdw
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by mdw »

Not quite anything. Grands are more expensive and some very small uprights or odd taller ones cause problems but can be retro fitted to most uprights.