Prestigious London-based piano makes

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

wolfrace

Prestigious London-based piano makes

Post by wolfrace »

I'm planning on buying a piano stool for my family for Christmas (bearing in mind I'm only 17 ;) ) but I don't want to buy any old make. So, does anyone know the most well-known, quality piano makers in London, where I could buy one? ATM price doesn't matter.

Any help is appreciated, as I really have no idea on this one, and Google isn't helping.

Thanks!

P.S I just realised there's a page for piano makes, but there are so many so if someone could pinpoint one... :)
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

Tozer is one of the better makes also John Austin Furniture

Barrie
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
Gill the Piano

Post by Gill the Piano »

If your piano is an old one, you could also consider an antique one from an antiques centre/shop or eBay.
pianotechman
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by pianotechman »

There are a number of new piano stools on the market, Tozer are great, almost 'bespoke'to what you want in terms of finish and covering material. You kind of get what you pay for in this market. Cheap stools are often not jointed at the top of the legs, using a metal bracket, with a standard nut or wing nut to tighten them. In my experience these usually work loose after some time and the stool becomes unstable. As a rule of thumb, if you buy a well made jointed stool with bracing bars on the lower leg, it will last a lifetime. :)
David Hamilton Smith
PianoGuy
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by PianoGuy »

Deleted. Double post.
Last edited by PianoGuy on 19 Oct 2008, 19:01, edited 1 time in total.
PianoGuy
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by PianoGuy »

pianotechman wrote:There are a number of new piano stools on the market, Tozer are great, almost 'bespoke'to what you want in terms of finish and covering material.
I like Tozer too, although I think the quality has dropped marginally since the range was reduced and production transferred from England to Germany. I prefer John Austin for domestic stools because the wood finishes are gorgeous, (and they're still made in Banbury I think) but would go for a Tozer concert stool.
genaa
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by genaa »

I have just ordered a John Austin Small Concert Stool so will post some pics if you like once it has arrived...... not cheap but they are still made in Banbury I believe.
genaa
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by genaa »

delete double post.
Last edited by genaa on 21 Oct 2008, 14:22, edited 1 time in total.
wolfrace

Post by wolfrace »

wow thanks for the replies, they're really useful.

@ genaa, yeah that would be cool, and could you also tell me how long delivery takes?

oh and is it ok to get a concert stool for home?
PianoGuy
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by PianoGuy »

wolfrace wrote: oh and is it ok to get a concert stool for home?
Fine. It's just a style of stool, leather deep-buttoned upholstery is the norm and they're expensive, but should last for ever.
genaa
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by genaa »

hiya,

delivery estimate on the letter says 'upto 9 weeks' but they assured me on the phone it won't take that long. There is some delay as they need to get the upholstery done at a separate place apparently.

As pianoguy says they are not cheap - but will last a lifetime, in fact I think that John Austin are one of the only stools where it is possible to remove the height adjusting knobs without having to first smash them off their fitting to thread...so they really should last a lifetime and be eminently repairable should anything go amiss.
wolfrace

Post by wolfrace »

wooow sounds perfect.

I have an upright piano, so what size would you recommend for a concert stool? Small or large?

Also, for those stools, what price am I looking at?
genaa
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by genaa »

sizes for the large john austin are as follows:

L 59cm W 46cm H 48-58cm

The large are available with tapered or spade-toe or turned legs, with spade-toe and tapered being cross-braced.

The small stools are the same but are only 41cm wide and only available in tapered leg (with cross-bracing).

Both sizes are with natural leather hide seat, upholstered with fibre, hair and felt - i.e. traditional upholstery.

Now brace yourself........

Prices for small concert stool is £507.00 for a black finish , natural wood in either Teak, Cherry, Oak, Beech or Ash is an extra 20% on base price, plus £20.00 if you want Bright finish so my black bright (to match the piano coming) was £527.00.

You pay a 20% deposit upfront on order and the balance on delivery (which does help take the sting out of it a little!)

Prices are comparable, possibly a little higher, than Tozer, but the stools are by all accounts extremely high quality if not the highest....
wolfrace

Post by wolfrace »

That's a lot more expensive than I expected

Well, I'll see what happens.

Thanks everyone for the great replies, this forum has been very useful! Hope to be on here again some time.

-wolfrace
PianoGuy
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by PianoGuy »

That price is for the top of the range mutha though. The small concert stool is just as well made and will be cheaper!
joseph
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by joseph »

i guess lots of people dont realise that piano stools are very expensive bits of kit.

lucky steinway don't make them - they'd be indestructible but they'd probably start at £3000 lol
genaa
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by genaa »

that price is for the small concert stool. the large concert stool is £550.00 before additions for finish etc :(

If you want a really large selection of stools to peruse have a look HERE as a starting point :)
genaa
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by genaa »

as promised - some pics of the John Austin stool I ordered. The build quality seems extremely good - it's a very solid piece of furniture and should hopefully last a lifetime :)

please excuse poor quality of pics - seems my camera lens needs cleaning hehe!