Help needed buying a piano

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

noclue

Help needed buying a piano

Post by noclue »

I am currently looking at purchasing a piano for my wife as a christmas gift. I have no knowledge of pianos or music, and would greatly appreciate some help. I have been round a few stores although everyone seems to tell me different things, and I am concerned that the views expressed by the salesmen are bias or untrue.

My wife is a teacher and plays the piano in school for concerts, events etc - generally speaking she doesnt play for any other reason but to practice for these events. Having looked at pianos I ahve come top the conclusion that an acoustic piano would be too expensive and big. I have therefore started to look at digital / electronic pianos. My budget is approx £500 ($1000) but would pay slightly more if a piano was far better than the ones in my current budget. With regards to features, My wife would have little intrest in special features, sound effects and computer, ipod compatibility.

Ultimately I want something which sounds and feels like an acoustic piano. I have been advised that the Korg SP250 and the Yamaha DGX-620 would be suitable.

Could anyone offer any advise with regards to the best piano to purchase or the suitability of the two mentioned pianos.
Gill the Piano

Post by Gill the Piano »

There is something which sounds EXACTLY like an acoustic piano; it's called an acoustic piano! The footprint is much the same as a plastic one, so the size argument is out the window, and for 500 quid you could get a decent second hand small upright - a Zender, for instance. Your wife doesn't want all the gadgets and gizmos, so a real piano would be ideal. If you spend 500 quid on a plastic one, it's going to last you 10 years tops, whereas a small upright will keep going forever if you look after it.
PianoGuy
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by PianoGuy »

Lady speak the truth. :wink:
Gill the Piano

Post by Gill the Piano »

Lady? Me? Ah, shucks! :oops:
noclue

Post by noclue »

Thank you for your replies, my only concern with purchasing an acoustic piano is that we only have room for a piano upstairs, and I think we would struggle to get an acoustic piano up the stairs.
Nutroast
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by Nutroast »

Piano removal companies seem to quote for delivering a piano to the ground floor. If yours is going upstairs, you can probably just tell them this and they can come prepared and may charge a little more, but I'm sure they'll still do it for you, rather than you struggle to do it yourself.

I've just got a new piano :D and the removal men would have been happy to do whatever we wanted with it, I'm sure other firms would be the same.

Jan
Gill the Piano

Post by Gill the Piano »

Yes, you would sttruggle to get a piano upstairs - that's why you get the removers to do it! I had my piano upstairs all through my childhood, and it was great - I could play without disturbing telly watchers, etc. A small Zender won't actually weigh a lot more than a plastic thing; I know, I've moved both!
genaa
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by genaa »

hehe there is an epic piano delivery thread on the piano-forum pages where a chap in Singapore had his lovely new Sauter grand delivered by three men barefoot - who then carried the 6 footer up 24 stories of steps to his apartment :) that is what I call good service!!
joseph
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by joseph »

buy an acoustic! A small Zender, perhaps a Danemann, Challen, Chappell, all of these can be really nice and found for a fairly good price on the open market, have it inspected by a technician though! When you find the right piano you will be so happy with it. A digital piano will not make you happy, it is a bit like owning a DVD player. Perfectly functional but not happy making. Remember, a piano isn't just for Christmas!!!!
noclue

Post by noclue »

looks like its an acoustic piano then!

Extremely grateful for everyone's assistance.
Brumtuner
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by Brumtuner »

You interested in a nice walnut Art-deco Bentley Bungalow- 500quid?

A smallish upt (about the size of a digital), complete with matching stool. Photos available, pm me.

It's at CV7 postcode.