Not about pianos...computers!

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

genaa
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by genaa »

quick answer is that the higher the PC or DDR number, the 'faster' the memory is - so DDR400 is faster than DDR333, PC8500 faster than PC6400. The faster the memory, the more expensive it is, as the higher quality silicon etc is required.

DDR and DDR2 are different memory types, so make sure you get the right type for your particular motherboard...

What are you using the machine for? If just 'normal' computing (as opposed to say high speed online gaming) then some fairly bog-standard DDR of the appropriate type should do you fine.

If you want to let me know the motherboard you have, chipset and what you want to use the machine for, then I will happily advise some memory choices :)

Am no 'expert' by any means, but I did build my last three computers from scratch using all custom parts and they have all worked fine ;)
genaa
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by genaa »

Hehe - yes I know 'puters can be damned annoying things Dave!

Sounds like you may well have a dodgy module because even if it was playing up with the other stick of ddr400 stuff in, it should still work ok when placed in the motherboard on its own.

Chipset = the type of chip, i.e. Pentium P4, Athlon AMD3500+ etc etc.

I would recommend (unless its a major hassle) taking your computer (just the 'guts' bit not monitor etc.) to the shop with you along with your motherboard manual. It may be that they can fiddle with the motherboard settings and get it all working ok, rather than have them simply test it on one of their machines, declare it 'fine' and then have you drive home and still not be able to get it working......
jackg
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by jackg »

if you go to www.crucial.com and key in your motherboard, maker and model the web site offers to sell you different types of RAM which will work in your motherboard. So you can check whether what you bought should work in your MOBO (motherboard). And its probably cheaper than from shop and better quality RAM.
Just check that the RAM is pushed home properly as well, you have to push it in quite hard.
Grenache
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by Grenache »

Hi

Yes, I would recommend crucial too, I think if you type www.crucial.com/uk it will give you their UK site.

Also, when adding memory, make sure you are taking antistatic precautions. I make sure that my PC is earthed - i.e. plugged into the mains but the mains switch must be off, so that the earth pin is connected, then touch firmly a part of the metal casing before you open the antistatic bag and touch the memory modules.

Even a little static can cause the chips on the module to fail.

BTW Dave, I often get distracted from piano playing by having to fix something on my PC.