Yamaha Disklavier Upright Piano - convert from floppy to CD?

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

MarkGoodwinPianos
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Yamaha Disklavier Upright Piano - convert from floppy to CD?

Post by MarkGoodwinPianos »

I have the following Yamaha Disklavier Upright Piano in my shop:
http://www.markgoodwinpianos.co.uk/pian ... -sale-0807

It has the floppy disc system, not integrated, but it sits on top of the piano and connects via a data cable. So I was hoping someone could advise me as to what options are available for me to get a CD version sat on the top of the piano instead of the floppy disc version.

Thanks in advance for any advice
Kind Regards,
Mark
Yamaha Pianos for sale (usually 50+ in stock)
email markgoodwinpianos@gmail.com with any Yamaha, Kawai, Bechstein or Steinway questions :)
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

I think they did an upgrade for the MarkIII I would ring Yamaha UK but it will not be cheep

You are not up to your usual speed Mark I would have enclosed that link with some key words :lol:

Barrie
Last edited by Barrie Heaton on 04 Aug 2008, 19:04, edited 1 time in total.
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
MarkGoodwinPianos
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Thanks Barrie
Is that what I have then?
Do I have a MKIII unit on there?
email markgoodwinpianos@gmail.com with any Yamaha, Kawai, Bechstein or Steinway questions :)
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

Looks like it should say on the back

Barrie,
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
athomik
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by athomik »

If you have an external control unit with only a floppy drive, your piano will be a Mark II or Mark IIXG - the XG version will have a full set of XG voices for backing tracks (16 Track MIDI files). If you give me the model number of the controller (there should be a model number near the LCD display, it will be "DKCxxxx"), I could be more specific regarding the specs.
Either way, you cannot fit a later model control box to this piano. One option used to be to add a unit called a DCD1. This connected to the existing control box via MIDI and gave you most of the Mark III facilities, including the CD drive. Unfortunately, the only place you can get one of those nowadays is somewhere like ebay, they do crop up occasionally.
If the potential customer is interested in additional functionality, the best option would be to connect a laptop via MIDI and get a sequencing progam such as Cubase. This would actually add a lot more than you get with a Disklavier Mark III, especially if you connect to the internet for downloading MIDI files.
MarkGoodwinPianos
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Barrie, I looked on the back of the unit and on the back of the piano but I couldn't find any reference to MKII etc.

Athomik, Please see the photos below showing the front of the unit. I can't see any codes or references as you mention:
http://www.markgoodwinpianos.co.uk/img/ ... isklavier/

Thanks for the excellent tip about linking it up to a laptop. That's very interesting. The CD will go out of fashion/use just as floppy disks have done. They will be replaced by large internal hard drives and flash drives and wireless connectivity to a networked hard drive etc.

Thanks for the input so far chaps. I found a price tag on the back of about £5600 too.
athomik
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by athomik »

The piano is an MPX70. You can find the owner's manual at: http://www.yamaha.co.jp/manual/english/ ... code=piano
MarkGoodwinPianos
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Thanks Athomik
Yep, it's the MPX70 as shown in my photo here:

Thanks for the input chaps!
Regards,
Mark