Newbie here and a question

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

Nutroast
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Newbie here and a question

Post by Nutroast »

Hello! This is my first posting. Having browsed the site for a while I thought I'd better say hello.

Having had a piano when I was a child, but no lessons, I just plonked away happily and then lost interest and the piano was sold. 30 years later, I'm now really keen to learn and will be starting lessons in September.

I'm also planning to buy my own piano for practice. I don't have too much space and am considering a 6-octave one. The seller told me it would be good up to grade V. What does that really mean? Will I become frustrated with this in the future? Will the Moonlight Sonata be off limits? (Serious question that, I'm determined to master it one day!)

Another question (sorry), roughly how much would you expect to pay for a piano to be tuned?

I'd appreciate your thoughts.

Jan
Nutroast
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by Nutroast »

Actually, ignore my question about the cost of a tuner, I just saw the answers on another thread.

Thanks,
Jan
Descombes
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by Descombes »

A well-motivated adult student will soon reach the stage where a 6 octave piano is a handicap. Unless you want to go through the business of looking for a piano all over again, I'd suggest going for a full-sized one now. The difference in size must be relatively small anyway. It sounds to me as if the seller is keen to sell that 6 octave one.

Best of luck with the lessons; and whatever happens, don't let anyone talk you into buying a digital/electric monstrosity as a way of saving space.
Openwood
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by Openwood »

Hi Nutroast,

All the best with your piano goals. I would second what Descombes said about the 6-octave piano - if you continue to develop your skills it won't be very long before you find the lack of notes frustrating.

My advice is always to buy the best instrument you can afford. If you're looking at getting a brand new piano check out Yamaha, Kemble and Kawai uprights as they are excellent value for money.

If you are looking at getting a second hand piano I would ask on this site for recommendations of good dealers in your area.

From bitter experience I would also add that the biggest/most heavily advertised piano retailers are NOT necessarily the best - just because a particular firm shifts more of piano brand X than any other in the country it doesn't follow that they will give you the best level of service.
whatever happens, don't let anyone talk you into buying a digital/electric monstrosity as a way of saving space.
Abso-bleedin-lutely. It's like getting a 6-octave job; a few years back I got an electric piano as I figured it would be fine for practising but after a few months it just didn't cut the mustard. The space argument is bollox as an upright has almost the same footprint as a digital.

Lastly, If you're buying a new upright/recent secondhand have a look at the 'silent' options - this is when an acoustic piano is fitted with a system that turns it into an electric piano at the press of a button so that you can plug in headphones and practice into the wee small hours if the mood takes you; very neighbour-friendly if you live in a terrace!

Good luck with it all!
"Each day grow older, and learn something new."
Solon (c. 630 - c. 500 B.C.), Greek Statesman and Reformer
Nutroast
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by Nutroast »

Hello Openwood and Descombes and many thanks for your replies. I spoke to my husband about this last night and he echoed exactly what you said -including the bit about the digital option!

I saw some things about the silent opion on this site yesterday and it looks like a great idea. I am lucky not to have neighbours, but I do have a young family who may want to be sleeping when I want to be in full flow!

I'll keep you posted and let you know what I get and how I get on.

Thank you again,
Jan
Stuart
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by Stuart »

If you are really serious about the Moonlight, the last movement is way beyond Grade 5 anyway. Such ambition deserves a good instrument. Best of luck.
Nutroast
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by Nutroast »

Openwood wrote:My advice is always to buy the best instrument you can afford. If you're looking at getting a brand new piano check out Yamaha, Kemble and Kawai uprights as they are excellent value for money.
Oh, I wish you hadn't said that! I've just been checking out Kemble's web site. Quick, hide the credit cards!

My friend has an ancient Bechstein which sits, unloved and untuned. I wonder if they'd notice if it went awol?

Thanks again for all your advice. The search continues and I will let you know how I get on.
sussexpianos
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by sussexpianos »

If you are looking at new, which I think is the best value for money if you intend to keep it, then all new pianos are 7 1/4 octave anyway. Stay away from cheap Yamaha pianos as they are harsh sounding and cheaply built but if your budget dons't let you go higher then consider a secondhand piano. Kemble pianos are nice but exceed most peoples budget. Samick/ Reid sohn pianos are OK with their German design and German hammers giving you a good sound. Kawai is a good choice with the K15e, this was a £3k + piano a few years ago in the form of the K18 but now in a studio cabinet and much less, RRp is £2699 but if you go in with a cash offer, that will tumble.
There are some good pianos from the Music Broker people in Holland like the Gerh.Steinberg which are good pianos for the price.
Just remember not to internet buy, visit your local piano shops, see what services they offer and also if they are part of any trading standards scheme etc.
Grenache
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by Grenache »

Also consider a Brodmann. I test-drove the 125 upright last year when I was piano-hunting. It had a nice touch and warm sound, as well as being attractively-priced. In fact it came second on my list to the Yamaha U1.