Key buffing

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

jackg
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Key buffing

Post by jackg »

For my 1924 Grotrian upright. The keys are slighly yellow and I would like to remove as much yellow and then buff them. I had used a green abrasive crockery cleaner pad before which worked well, but I will need to get some buffing wheels and soap to polish them. I can probably use a mates wheel but any advice on the type or grade of buffing wheel and soap would be appreciated.
Ta.
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

2 x 10 stitched cotton wheel and white buffing soap both
Fletcher & Newman Ltd and Heckscher & Co,. Ltd sell them also any good tool shop.

Sand them down first with 500g wet and dry and some Hydrogen Peroxide but if you want them extra white then you need to bleach the ivory

Barrie,
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
mdw
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by mdw »

Barrie Heaton wrote: but if you want them extra white then you need to bleach the ivory

Barrie,
Be very carefull with the UV light they recomend you use as you can damage your eyes with exposure to it.
vernon

Post by vernon »

Assuming that the tops are ivory and not worn hollow, you need to scrape with a sharp cabinet scraper ensuring it does not judder and make permanent ridges.Then rub down with a hard block with flour paper.Then with a felt pad buff them with pumice powder. Then buff them with whiting powder.Asrie says, then bleach them. Then buff them on a polishing machine.
If the ivories are hollowed by use, leave them alone.
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

mdw wrote:
Barrie Heaton wrote: but if you want them extra white then you need to bleach the ivory

Barrie,
Be very carefull with the UV light they recomend you use as you can damage your eyes with exposure to it.
you use UV "A" which are used in discos the ones that make your dandruff stand out and not forgetting white bras if you were them.

UV "B" use a lot of juice and are not as good as UV A but the best place is in the garden pointing at the sun but if you live up north you don't get much of that - you will just get soggy keys from the rain :sad:

I have mine behind a curtain have been using them for over 15 years

you have to be more careful with the Hydrogen Peroxide if you use 17% or above that can strip your skin off and if you buy more that a pint you will be observed by the men in black theses days

Barrie,
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page