Repolishing a frand piano

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

amvs
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Repolishing a frand piano

Post by amvs »

We have been lucky enough to be given my husband's grandfather's Steinway Model O grand (1923 vintage). Our tuner/technician says that the works are in excellent condition and is keeping them in good order.

However the mahogany case is looking distinctly worse for wear, including some water damage to the top, bubbling down the more visible side and general wear & tear (it is a New York model with a lot of square edges)

I would therefore like to have the piano repolished, but want to make sure that I get someone who knows what they are doing. My tuner's friendly polisher died recently and he has no-one else to suggest.

Can anyone suggest who I should call - ideally in central/south London - we live in SW4.
jackg
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by jackg »

I would ask a few tuners who they know locally who does any French polishing, usually there are not too many people who French polish pianos. Always get more than one price even if you are completely happy with one persons advice, you just never know.
A minimalist approach was advised to me, ie remove the least and improve what is already there the most.
Maybe a call to Steinway would help?