Yamaha C7 v Kawai RX-7

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

Jazzer
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Yamaha C7 v Kawai RX-7

Post by Jazzer »

Wow! Played a brand new RX-7 today and thought it was an incredible instrument. In fact, it made me wonder whether the C7 - long my favourite if the budget doesn't stretch to Steinways and Bosies - has a serious rival here.

What do others think?
Openwood
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by Openwood »

With well-built pianos of that size I would imagine a lot depends on the quality of the preparation and voicing.
"Each day grow older, and learn something new."
Solon (c. 630 - c. 500 B.C.), Greek Statesman and Reformer
sussexpianos
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by sussexpianos »

The Kawai is my choice as it has the better action. Go on, push the boat out and treat yourself !
Jazzer
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by Jazzer »

I already have a C7 so there's no going back on that for a while! I'm very struck by comments about Kawai's action, though, which to my technique seems heavier than the C7. Why is it (Millenium) reckoned to be "better"?
RWAS
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by RWAS »

The new Kawai action which I believe has been installed in both the K Kawai and Shigeru Kawai pianos since 2004 is claimed to be "better" for the following reasons.

It is stronger than wooden actions and more durable.

It is not affected by humidity and temperature changes as wood is. It will not warp and the integrity of its precision is not compromised.

Kawai claims that it is "faster" than the conventional wooden action, but I am not sure how that is measured.

However, the proof of the pudding is in the eating and you must try the new action. From my experience it is highly responsive and beautifully easy to control.

Regards,

Robert.
I love the piano and its music.
Jazzer
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by Jazzer »

Interesting: thanks!
athomik
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by athomik »

RWAS wrote: It is stronger than wooden actions and more durable.

It is not affected by humidity and temperature changes as wood is. It will not warp and the integrity of its precision is not compromised.

Robert.
I am not saying that there is anything wrong with Kawai's Millenium Action, but how useful is it to have an action which is not as badly affected by temperature and humidity when the rest of the piano still is? I would have thought that in a situation where the Millenium action is going strong despite adverse conditions, the rest of the piano might still be struggling with/succumbing to those conditions?
RWAS
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Re: Yamaha C7 v Kawai RX-7

Post by RWAS »

Yes, I agree that humidity affecting any part of the piano should be avoided. That's why I believe that room humidity control is better than humidity control of just the soundboard.
My answer to your question is that the seasonal humidity swings cause most damage to the action, soundboard and pinblock. The action has a critical role in tone production as the efficiency and accuracy in which the hammer strikes the string helps determine the sound quality the instrument produces. The stable Millenium III action resists the effects of humidity swings and its functionality is uncompromised.

I accept that point that this action will not prevent humidity damage to the soundboard, strings, pinblock and keys. However, it does provided stability to a crucial piano component and that is a positive step forward in piano technology.
Kind regards,
Robert.
I love the piano and its music.