looking at small grands

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

twf

looking at small grands

Post by twf »

Hi,I am currently looking at small grands,i am looking at approx 5' 3" as maximum length (to replace my Hyundai upright) .I have tried Yamaha GB1,A1,GC1 and C1,all seem very good in build quality,but the smaller ones were extremely bright.I have tried Moutrie 5' which seem great value but i have never heard of them before,Perzina 5'which was very nice in both sound and build quality, and a used(slightly i believe)Opus 5' which for the price(£4000) i thought was good although again iv'e never heard of them before.Ihave also tried Kawai GM10(dull sound) and GE20(nice sound but very loud).Before i make any decision i want to try a Wendl and Lung 161.Iwould appreciate any advice or comments on the models that i have mentioned regarding,sound,build quality or problems.Many thanks, TWF.
PianoGuy
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by PianoGuy »

Moutrie is the oldest established Chinese piano factory I believe, once being owned by a British family. Not sure if there's still a connection, but they're made in Nanjing these days. Mind you, so are Rovers.

Perzina are made by Yantai Perzina who are partly owned by a Dutch company. Their products are excellent for the money and some claim at least 65% European sourced parts.

Opus were once owned by Young Chang, but I have no experience with their grands. Their big seller was a tacky 6-octave upright called the Pianino which was the most basic piano on the market featuring only one pedal (sustain) and a cabinet made of what looked like dried snot available in matt black, matt brown and matt white. The Young Chang grands are very acceptable, but you have to ask why this one is badged with their 'economy' brand name.

Wendl & Lung are made by Hailun Musical Instrument Co and are designed by an Austrian feller who has an interest in the factory. There may be some truth in the rumour that Peter Veletzky (for it is he) married into a family who owned the largest Chinese Restaurant business in Austria, and established a Chinese connection that he put to good use. The Wendl & Lung brand had been his own family's business established in 1910 in Vienna.

The GC1 is the pick of your bunch, and if you can afford one it'll last better, sound better and play better than all the others.
twf

Post by twf »

Hi P G,Thank you for your reply,is your suggestion for the Yamaha GC1 in favour of the C1 or would a new C1L for approx £8500 be the one to go for.Many thanks,TF.
PianoGuy
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by PianoGuy »

The C1 is certainly better. Who in their right mind is selling one for that price?

The GC1 makes a few compromises in the design where they are least important, and should be significantly cheaper so it offers better value at list price.
Len
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by Len »

I went through this exercise some months back, and tried all the Yamahas in question. Ended up with a Kawai RX-1 and could not be happier. A most beautiful tone it produces.
PianoGuy
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by PianoGuy »

Len wrote:I went through this exercise some months back, and tried all the Yamahas in question. Ended up with a Kawai RX-1 and could not be happier. A most beautiful tone it produces.
The RX1 is indeed a good alternative. Good sound, cracking action, but tuning not quite as stable as a Yam.
sussexpianos
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by sussexpianos »

Try the Samick NSG grand, 158,175 and 185cm from £7500 to £9k. Basicaly a good piano with some Bechstein knowledge and quality parts. The cases are bigger at the back to increase soundboard resonance.Worth a look
twf

Post by twf »

Hi,now that i have located them i am hoping to try the Brodmann162 and the W&L 161 this week,then the C1 and GC1 again,Many thanks, TWF.