small piano for £2000 max

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

Kitty Stewart

small piano for £2000 max

Post by Kitty Stewart »

I am looking for a piano for my small children to learn on (and for me to relearn). We have a very small house so space is a big consideration, so I've been looking at the smaller uprights.

I am thinking of buying a Kemble Cambridge 10 from the year 2000 for 2000 pounds, from a piano shop. Is this the most sensible way of spending this budget? I certainly prefer the Kemble to some new Chinese pianos and Yamahas I've tried for under 2000 pounds, so it's a question of whether this is a good price, or whether I should be looking at older pianos. There's also the question of whether it's a bad idea to get a very small upright.
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

With small pianos you always suffer with the bass but the Kemble Cambridge 10 are nice pianos for there size I have quite a few on my round and all the clients are happy with them the bass tent to be better then the same size far east pianos they use better strings for the bass

As to price I don’t have the latest price list from Kembles but new I think they are 2800 and 4 years is nothing on a piano like that what is there buy back policy some dealers will buy the piano back at the price you paid if you upgrade a few year down the road

Barrie,
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
Kitty Stewart

Post by Kitty Stewart »

Thanks, Barrie, that's very helpful. I should ask about the buy back policy. I'm hoping this piano will last us at least ten years but of course it depends how the children get on.
Melodytune

Post by Melodytune »

I recently helped a customer to sell a six year old Kemble Cambridge for &2000.00, the buyer was delighted with it, and I still tune the piano. Its as good as new.
Chris Melloy
Piano Tuner