Query re: Monington and Weston

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

Yorkshire

Query re: Monington and Weston

Post by Yorkshire »

I am a beginner and have been searching for an upright piano for a while. Unfortunately, I am hindered by a svere lack of knowledge. I came across a website for a shop in Leeds which is selling a Monington and Weston upright, 1935:

http://www.besbrodepianos.co.uk/showroo ... oom463.htm

I was wondering if anyone has any commetns on this as to the make itself or thinsg I should be wary of. I know that you cannot fully comment without seeing the piano, but to be honest when I go see the piano I will not know what to look for. From the description it looks a good price - &495, overstrung, underdamped.

I think it is smaller than average, which would help as I live in a flat.

Any help would be appreciated.
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

That is a very nice looking art deco piano and one day will be a collectors piece well for those who go for art deco

Ok Monington and Weston are not bad pianos I have a few teachers who use them and have had them form new in the 30 no problems just replaced the usual tapes and back touch felt the only problem I have some across on a few 60s pianos are loos pins.

New ones are made in the far east, the only one I have seen had very good bass for the size a 108 and retailed for about 1,700.00 they make a larger one as well
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
Melodytune

Post by Melodytune »

As Barrie says they're not bad pianos, one other thing to consider. See if you can ascertain when the piano was last tuned, and is it tuned to A440 (concert pitch)? I've sometimes had a problem with bass strings breaking when pulling them back up to pitch.

Regards
Chris Melloy
Piano Tuner