Making Bass Strings

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

Brumtuner
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Making Bass Strings

Post by Brumtuner »

How feasible is it to make your own machine?

I've seen a picture of a home-made winding 'machine' using a variable speed electric drill to rotate the core wire but does anyone know how tense the core needs to be prior to applying the copper wire?

Any info and/or images of home-made devices would be gratefully received.
PianoGuy
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by PianoGuy »

Theoretically possible. You could do it with two opposite running synchronous motors with a chuck on each running on a rail of some sort.
Brumtuner
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by Brumtuner »

I assumed that the core could be powered at one end like a lathe (but by the drill) and the other hooked onto freely rotating eye/hook thingy but it's the necessary tension that I need info on.

There's a short vid clip on http://www.hellerbass.de/uk/entrance.htm but sadly, it's not that informative.
PianoGuy
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by PianoGuy »

Brumtuner wrote:I assumed that the core could be powered at one end like a lathe (but by the drill) and the other hooked onto freely rotating eye/hook thingy but it's the necessary tension that I need info on.
I don't think that would work due to the latency of the other end to pick up speed.
jackg
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by jackg »

Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Making Bass Strings

Post by Barrie Heaton »

Brumtuner wrote: but does anyone know how tense the core needs to be prior to applying the copper wire?
Would it not be cheaper to buy one

the tension is one those trade secrets, each string maker has there own idea bit like the shellac mix with polishers they will tell you but would have to kill you after

I would say it would be 160Lbs +

Barrie,
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
Brumtuner
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by Brumtuner »

"Would it not be cheaper to buy one"

A string, yes, a machine, deffo no, anyway, I'm a tight get that likes to make things for next to nothing like my 30yr old moving trolley - 12 quid, my piano moving trailer - 80 quid, my sluggish action 're-centring oven' - jus' kidding :wink: .

I simply like making things and a winding machine is my current bee-in-bonnet so if I can knock one out for a ton or two, then I'm gonna be quids in.

Why buy a potters' wheel when a modified record player will suffice?

Thanx for replies.
Tom Tuner
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by Tom Tuner »

All the bass string spinning machines I've seen have the spindle with the hook and the chuck turning together via a backshaft. I believe the important point about the core wire tension is that it be sufficint to keep from being pulled too much out of line by tension on the covering wire.

Tom Tuner