Simplex or Loop and spring regulating

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

Termax

Simplex or Loop and spring regulating

Post by Termax »

I have just inherited a Challen baby grand which I would like to have a go at regulating. My local piano shop will only carry out a complete restoration at a cost of &4-5000 which is ten times what I paid for it.
None of the books I have bought or borrowed explain how to regulate the Simplex or loop and spring type action fitted to this piano ,and I gather thousands more baby grands. If some kind soul can point me in the direction of information on this subject, I would be most grateful.
peter
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

If I said Blow, set off and depth of touch would you understand what I am taking about

Barrie,
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
Termax

Challen baby grand regulatinjg

Post by Termax »

Yes Barrie I do understand those terms,in fact I think I think I have a fair knowledge of the ins and outs of pianos as I have been fascinated by them since boyhood and I am now 75. I have copies of Reblitz, Floyd Stevens and a marvellous little book called The Modern Piano by Nalder and have borrowed every available book from our pulic library without finding anything directly relating to the Challen action. It seems to me that the sring and loop must be adjusted first before you can adjust set off and that's easier said than done.You can take it that the key dip is correct and that all other relevant adjustments are okay. I also have a jig allowing me to set string neight for the correct blow and I have all the time in the world.
As this is my first time using this forum I am anxious to to use the correct protocols and procedures. I hope someone will tell me if I am doing things wrong.
Thanks for your rapid response to my input
Peter
peter
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

First off your local tuner should be doing this.

However, we will do it step by step we will be working in metric Don’t try to run you are wrong the springs are one of the last things we alter, providing there is some tension on them they should be fine for now

Do you have any key levelling Leads
http://www.fletcher-newman.co.uk/catalo ... 74712.html

if not you will need to improvise

OK what is the key height from the bottom of the key frame to the lip of the key it should be 65mm
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page