Guild Church and Co.

Ask questions on piano history and the age of your piano.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Bill Kibby

Michael V Marsh

Guild Church and Co.

Post by Michael V Marsh »

My neighbour has an upright piano with a name I am unfamiliar with and a brand name which I cannot locate on the web. The piano is made by
Guild Church and Company, Serial number 17232. The only date I could find on it relates to its patent - May 18th 1880. Does anyone have any information about the manufacturer?
Bill Kibby

Guild Church

Post by Bill Kibby »

For best response, you should post this on the piano history page. A few numbers are published for this name, and these suggest about 1867, which is obviously wrong. Could you email me some photos?
Piano History Centre
http://pianohistory.info
Email via my website.
If you find old references or links on this site to pianogen.org, they should refer to pianohistory.info
Michael V Marsh

UNIDENTIFIED PIANO

Post by Michael V Marsh »

Bill
Thank you for such a rapid response. I will forward some pictures this evening.
Once again thanks very much.

Cheers\Mike
dougw

Re: Guild Church and Co.

Post by dougw »

I know this is a very old post, but information might be useful to others. Built in Boston between 1867 and 1890 according to following:

Guild, Church & Company
In 1861, George M. Guild entered into a partnership with C.C. Briggs (later of Briggs Piano Company) and formed the firm of “George M. Guild & Company” of Boston. Shortly thereafter, Briggs withdrew and formed his own company. George M. Guild built higher grade, well made pianos and won several awards for patents he implemented in piano design and construction. The firm primarily built square and upright pianos during this era, and they were known to be very advanced and ahead of their time.
In 1867, George M. Guild went into partnership with Mr. Church, and the name of the company was changed to “Guild, Church & Company”. Church withdrew in 1890 the name of the firm was changed to “The Guild Piano Company”. The Guild Piano Company continued to build pianos well into the first quarter of the 20th Century.
Bill Kibby

Re: Guild Church and Co.

Post by Bill Kibby »

See the corrections in the new posting on the Piano History forum.
Piano History Centre
http://pianohistory.info
Email via my website.
If you find old references or links on this site to pianogen.org, they should refer to pianohistory.info