Price of Pianos in UK?

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

chowy
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Price of Pianos in UK?

Post by chowy »

Is there anywhere on the Internet that I can get a price list of all new upright pianos so I can see what I can get in my budget?

As I am inexperienced - some sites e.g Bechstein, Blunther etc.... don't give any ideas on prices - not even RRP so at least I can get a shortlist!

I am buying very soon and would like to think that I have looked into all avenues before my hopefully one and only purchase.

I know that Barrie suggested that I look at Blunther Irmler but I have no idea of what price these sell at.

My initial budget is 3-4K pounds but may increase this if I see what is available!
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

Most manufactures will send you a price list and you’re nearest stockist

However, Bluthners uprights start at 12,456 up to 22,920 depend on model and finish a tad more than your budget the Haessler uprights start at 7,102 up to 9,542 again depending on model and finish. The Irmler Start at 2,742 up to 3,459 their Pro range starts at 3,422 to 3,892

Bechstein the last time I looked started at 9,000 upto 19,000
Schimmel can’t remember what the start at but they go up to 17,00 As one of my clients got one lats year reduced to 15,000

Barrie,
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
chowy
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by chowy »

Does that mean within my budget there is -

Yamaha U1/U3S, Kawai K50/60/80, Boston 118E, Blunthers (Irmlers), Kemble K121/K131, Becsteins (Hoffman and Euterpe), Petrof (Weinbach and Rosler).

Been trying to read up on these on the internet and noticed that the top brands have cheaper pianos using different names in brackets.

I am still thinking along the lines of a Yamaha but have read in a few places that they sound a bit bright and are not mellow sounding like some other brands namely Steinway, Beckstein and Blunther cheaper branded pianos.

I know it's going to be difficult to find a dealer that can demonstrate these brands but is it possible from anyones experience to give a summary of what the cheaper branded pianos are like compared to say the Yamaha U1?
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

Up north you will find it difficult to find a dealer who as more that two of the brands you have named your best bet it treat your self to a show in London and Visit Chappells of Bond street, ( for Kembles and Yamahas) Bluthners for the Imlar and Steinways for the Boston Jaques Samuel Pianos for Bechstein Bosendorfer Fazioli Kawai Steinway & Sons

Some of the London dealers read these post and may stock most of the pianos that fall in to your price range and post a reply

At the end of the day you can read all you like and we can tell you what we like but it is your money and the only way to make a decision is to sit in front of the pianos

Barrie,
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
Melodytune

Post by Melodytune »

Another place where you will get an honest opinion (and the opportunity to try for yourself) on the different pianos is Coach House Pianos at Swansea (if you ever get to South Wales). They are agents to Steinway & Son and sell a number of Boston pianos. They would have the experience with the various other makes of pianos as well. They can be contacted on 01792 584584.
Chris Melloy
Piano Tuner